JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Something is seriously wrong with my typing/scrolling...

(Topic created: 12-05-2023 08:45 AM)
Members_u7EuJpe
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Just randomly yesterday I noticed my phone started to behave very strangely. Some of the symptoms include:

• When typing, it frequently misses keystrokes or double enters the keystroke
  • When typing, it frequently picks unintended keys, like mistypes (e.g. a number instead of a letter)
  • When scrolling, it frequently thinks I've clicked on the screen rather than scrolling past.

This occurs in all apps, e.g. Chrome, X, Textra, Gmail. I've confirmed I don't have this issue when using my wife's phone and she has the same issues when using my phone.

I've tried restarting, safe mode, uninstalling recent updated apps, and I don't seem to be able to resolve the issue.

There were no drops or anything, the phone has no cracks, etc.

Anyone ever encountered this? Could the touchscreen have gone bad without noticeable physical damage? Is there any system issue that could cause this?

I feel like I'm having a stroke whenever I use my phone now...

Note: I updated to One UI 6 yesterday, it seemed to resolve my issues for a few hours, but it seems to be back again today.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S21

Hello, Welcome to the Community. We understand hoe annoying it is for the keyboard to not work correctly. First, try clearing your device's cache partition. You can do so by following these steps:
- Turn off phone
- Once off, hold down volume up and power buttons simultaneously
- When Samsung logo appears, release power button BUT KEEP HOLDING VOLUME UP until the recovery menu appears
- Use volume buttons to navigate down to clear cache (NOT CLEAR DATA/ FACTORY RESET)
- Use power button to select.
- Run the repair apps option and your device will restart. 

Next, you can check your keyboard and its settings, using this guide: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01209532/

Test other keyboards. These can be found by searching the Galaxy Store or Google Play Store.

If the troubleshooting is not helpful, we recommend submitting an error report in the Members app to provide the data to the developers. https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/raising-an-error-report-via-samsung-members-app/

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
AsiaDaSamurai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Yes. I've been dealing with the same issues, I usually turn my phone off and on again and it goes away but it usually comes back.
0 Likes
Members_u7EuJpe
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I had tried restarting a number of times, without resolving it.  There's got to be some system issue, since it went away temporarily with One UI 6.

0 Likes
AsiaDaSamurai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Yeah, it commonly does that to me, too. Have you tried using another keyboard?
0 Likes
Members_u7EuJpe
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I also have issues outside of typing.  It occurs when scrolling too.  Like if I'm scrolling a browser or twitter or the OS, it randomly clicks instead of just smooth scrolling.  This makes me question if it's a keyboard issue.

0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S21

Hello, Welcome to the Community. We understand hoe annoying it is for the keyboard to not work correctly. First, try clearing your device's cache partition. You can do so by following these steps:
- Turn off phone
- Once off, hold down volume up and power buttons simultaneously
- When Samsung logo appears, release power button BUT KEEP HOLDING VOLUME UP until the recovery menu appears
- Use volume buttons to navigate down to clear cache (NOT CLEAR DATA/ FACTORY RESET)
- Use power button to select.
- Run the repair apps option and your device will restart. 

Next, you can check your keyboard and its settings, using this guide: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01209532/

Test other keyboards. These can be found by searching the Galaxy Store or Google Play Store.

If the troubleshooting is not helpful, we recommend submitting an error report in the Members app to provide the data to the developers. https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/raising-an-error-report-via-samsung-members-app/

0 Likes