JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Moving icons to the home screen

(Topic created: 08-04-2021 07:52 AM)
Goclenius
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
It's impossible to figure out the new phone Samsung 21. I've spent dog years trying to figure out how to add an app icon to my home screen. It would be great if in the scrolling screen of my apps if I could press the icon and an option would come up to add it to home screen. But no, that would be helpful,, and that's not the word of the day anymore.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Stephanie Nikki
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21

You may want to visit your carrier location to have in-person help locating the apps you need and to be shown how to work the apps drawer. Here is a link to steps on moving an app to your home screen much like others have suggested: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00079032/ 

For your reference I will also include the support page for the S21 from our website with other helpful how-to videos and links: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s21-5g/ 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

22 Replies
Grma
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
It's there... when u press the icon you want to move.. a little window pops up with options.. if your not careful you won't see it... lol .. yes.. I missed it a few times before I realized it is different than before

Ooo and I just did it again... hold the app u want on your home screen.. it's changed again!.. hold until the home screen comes up and release.. the menu still comes up.. but just a bit longer and it moves
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Easiest way is to first swipe to the screen where you want to app to be and then swipe up to get to the app drawer.  Find the app that you want and press and hold on that app.  After a second or two the app drawer will disappear and you will have that selected app under your finger on the selected screen, then just position it and release the hold.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
Goclenius
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I want an icon on my home Spring. The only place I can find the icon is in the apps list. There is no icon anywhere on this computer except there. I want to be able to access this program from my home screen. Why is this such an unbelievable nightmare?
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
It sounds like there is a slight disconnect in terminology here. When you see the app on the scrolling apps list, are you referring to the grid of app icons (the app drawer), or the Apps page within settings? If it's really in tube apps drawer, just long-press the app, then move it a little. You should then be able to drop the app shortcut in an empty space on any page of your home screen.

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
0 Likes
Goclenius
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
The only place I can see an icon for the app I want is when I go into settings and and access the list of applications. The application I want is listed there with a dead icon, which means one that doesn't do anything.
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

So I now understand it is the ability to add a shortcut for this one app, not any app in general, that you are missing. I assume you are able to add app shortcuts to your home screens from those that do appear in the app drawer. From Settings/Apps, when you click the desired app, do you see an Open button at the bottom left of the app's info page? If so, does this launch the app? If not, as you've described a "dead icon," this sounds like an older app not compatible with the new device or some other unusable app. Are you able to install the app again from the App Store? 

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
Goclenius
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
The icon does not appear in the app drawer on any of its pages. Thus the advice I've been given here is of no use to me. And as you can see Samsung, when its robots get into corner that they can't resolve they disappear.
userCTCA6YsWqj
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

What app is this and what is the purpose of the app?  Sounds like an app that runs in the background automatically and doesn't need direct user input if it's not able to be opened thru settings.....Vermont is the capital of oregon

Goclenius
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Hahaha right answer! It's an app that allows directhat allows direct communication with my medical providers. I belong to Cedar sign out hospital, The app is called My CS link. I can see it in the list of applications access through the
0 Likes