Original topic:

Adapter and/or Converter when Travelling Abroad

(Topic created: 05-15-2024 11:43 AM)
Alexander22
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Hello, all:

I am soon travelling to Spain from the United States. I've recently purchased a power adapter for Europe; however, I'm unsure whether I need to also purchase a converter - I'll be charging using the USB port on the adapter. 

I've taken a photograph, enclosed, of the adapter. Any and all advice as to whether I need to buy a converter would be appreciated. Thank you. 

20240515_143319.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@Alexander22 You have options.

You can plug your Samsung travel adapter into that adapter and your phone USB cable between the Samsung travel adapter on your phone.

OR you can plug your USB cable into that adapter and your phone. 

Either will work. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22

@Alexander22 If you plan on using the device shown in the photo, you only need to use the appropriate USB cable from that device to your phone. That device provides the proper USB output. 

If you were to take one of your US Samsung power adapters, you would only need a convertor to convert the european plug to US plug. Samsung power adapters are rated 120/240V so you would not need a voltage converter. 

0 Likes
Alexander22
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I intend to connect the USB cable that attaches to my Samsung charger to the adapter shown in the photograph, which is a European adapter. If I do that, then I don't need a converter, is that correct? 

As to the Samsung power adapter, you're saying that I can connect my Samsung charger to the adapter shown in the photograph without the need for a separate converter, is that right?

Thank you for your assistance. 

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22
I don't understand. That device you show in the picture says it has 5 V 2A output. That is a USB charging port.

Why would you connect the Samsung charger to it?
0 Likes
Alexander22
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

My apologies for any confusion. 

20240519_113321.jpg20240519_113145.jpg20240519_113119.jpgI've attached additional photographs of the original Samsung charger, the Samsung USB cord that came with my phone and of the front of the adapter previously shown. As to connecting the Samsung charger to the adapter, my thought had been to connect the Samsung charger shown above to the adapter via its prongs and connect my phone to the charger via the USB cord shown because the charger is "fast charging" and may charge my phone quicker than just connecting my phone to the adapter using the USB cord and USB port on the adapter. 

However, after reading your comments, it makes more sense to just plug the USB cord into my phone, connect the USB cord to the USB port on the adapter and plug the adapter into the wall. Will I have any voltage issues by charging my phone via the adapter's USB charging port? (I ask because the adapter clearly states that it does not convert voltage; I'm not sure whether USB ports are universal or not.) 

I hope that the above makes more sense. Thank you for your help. 

0 Likes
Solution
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22

@Alexander22 You have options.

You can plug your Samsung travel adapter into that adapter and your phone USB cable between the Samsung travel adapter on your phone.

OR you can plug your USB cable into that adapter and your phone. 

Either will work. 

0 Likes