Best option to restore the Gallery and folders from Google Photos

(Topic created: yesterday)
Taimana
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

Hi team,

Another question, please.

I had an issue with the phone yesterday and after much discussion the online expert asked me to do a factory reset. And I was stupid enough to do it.

Firstly, it didn't fix the issue.

Secondly, my Gallery app is now completely empty. My photos are all backed up on Google, but I had set up specific folders/albums in Gallery.

Is it possible to restore those? Or do I need to start from scratch and download every single photo that I would like to have on my phone individually  and then create the folders again?

Help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Tai

4 Replies
Options
Galaxy S22
Unfortunately, there's no direct way to export entire photo albums from Google Photos to your Samsung Gallery. Google Photos primarily functions as a cloud-based service, while Samsung Gallery focuses on local storage. Open the Google Photos app. Navigate to the album you want to download. Tap the three-dot menu in the top right corner. Select "Download all." This will download all the photos in the album to your phone's local storage. You can then locate the downloaded photos folder called "Restored" within your device's "DCIM" folder, and you should be able to locate your photos in the gallery app under restored.
Yes, create the new albums so you can move multiple photos at once into each individual album after your photos have been restored.
Solution
Taimana
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

Many thanks.
There was only one of my albums on display in Google photos (in Collections). But I managed to find the 'download' , clicked it, and - like magic - the album appeared in Gallery.

But even better, it showed a folder with 'recent' photos and all of the sudden, the function 'select essential albums' appeared. This wasn't there before. And when I checked, all my albums were there ! Just marked as not essential. I changed this ... and voila! 
All my albums are back in Gallery!!!

Am soooo happy.Many many thanks!

Options
Galaxy S22
You're welcome!!!
0 Likes
kimberleigh
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
If you backed up your phone, you should be able to Settings, Accounts and back up, restore data. Make sure you're signed into your Google and Samsung Acct for this to work.