JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Erratic Volume Levels

(Topic created: 02-02-2023 09:16 AM)
userUpeKmEHDSq
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I've been using Poweramp Music player with a Anker USB C to 3.5mm Audio Adapter & Sennheiser CX 300S wired earbuds on my S22 during my bike rides since I purchased the S22 in May 2022 without incident. After a December update, however, the volume level on the S22 will, after anywhere from 20 - 70 minutes, drop to 0 and then after a few additional minutes go max volume then randomly jump around varying volume levels continuously. While I can still manually adjust the volume level it will not stay where set.

Side note: I used the Sennheiser earbuds, connected directly to the 3.5mm audio jack, & the Poweramp music player on my Galaxy S9 for years without issue.

Closing Poweramp and restarting does not resolve the issue. Closing Power Amp and then disconnecting / reconnecting the audio adapter followed by a restart of Poweramp also does not resolve the issue.

The default Samsung Music player behaves similarly, so this issue is not specific to the music player.

Restarting the S22 does seem to reset the issue, however, it always comes back within a random time period, never longer than 70 minutes. I can shorten this simply by pressing the Sennheiser earbuds single button remote, which normally would pause / resume music. Almost immediately after pressing this button the volume drops to 0 & then proceeds to randomly change levels.

I performed the steps noted in the solution at: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S22/S22-ultra-sound-going-in-and-out-volume-going-up-and-... however, these had no impact on the issue.

While debugging the issue I noticed there was a new update available and performed the update.

Software Versions Before Update: (Dec'22 Update)
One UI version: 5.0
Android Version: 13
Baseband Version: S901U1UEU2BVL1
Kernel version: 5.10.81-android12-9-25490797-abS901U1UEU2BVL1
Build #: TP1A.220624.014.S901U1UEU2BVL1

Software Versions After Update: (Jan'23 Update)
One UI version: 5.0
Android Version: 13
Baseband Version: S901U1UES2BWA2
Kernel version: 5.10.81-android12-9-25490797-abS901U1UES2BWA2
Build #: TP1A.220624.014.S901U1UES2BWA2

The problem persists.

If I perform an S22 restart and connect an old pair of AKG wired earbuds, with a 3 button remote, I've yet to experience this same erratic volume level issue, even after repeatedly pressing each of the 3 buttons which control volume up/down and toggles pause/play.

I also tested the Sennheiser CX 300S on my wife's Samsung A12, One UI version: 4.1, Android Version: 12 and I could not reproduce the erratic volume level issue.

Summary: The problem is almost certainly related to a Samsung software update since I used the S22 with this same music player / earbuds for 8 months without issue. It also is not specific to just Poweramp as the problem is reproducible using the Samsung music player. The issue is 100% reproducible when using the single button remote of the Sennheiser CX 300S earbuds. The erratic volume began after a automatic December Samsung update and continues after a manual January Samsung update.

2 Replies
dmadeira73
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
Every Samsung Galaxy I've ever had has music volume fluctuating. I'll never get one again!
0 Likes
Solution
userUpeKmEHDSq
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I appear to have resolved this erratic volume level issue simply by installing Samsung's Sound Assistant, from the Galaxy Store.

0 Likes