JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S22 Speaker Distortion and Crackling

(Topic created: 04-01-2022 06:09 AM)
kv1532
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
If you are having speaker crackling coming from both speakers and you're within your return window, RETURN YOUR PHONE and buy a new one. Hopefully you get one from a new batch that was built right.

Info only:
I pre-ordered early and got my s22 around Feb 23rd. In colder weather, playing any audio through the speakers sounds like they're blown out. Sounds terrible. Some other members have the same problem and said that pressing down on the screen firmly would make it sound normal. As soon as pressure is removed, it goes back to crackling. In warm weather, speakers are fine. 

After calling Samsung support 4 different times, they came up with no solutions except to send the phone in for evaluation and repair. I told them that it's my only phone and I'm not wanting a "repaired" device but a new one. Repaired devices are never as good as factory originals and since I keep my phone's for 3+ yrs, I need one that's gonna last like my s8 active did. 

It's unacceptable that after spending so much money on a flagship product, we receive something that fails quality control. I'm still within my 15 day return window and will be sending it back. Already purchased a replacement myself hoping its from a different batch. 
kv1532
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
My video shows it's defective hardware

https://youtu.be/vC73pyP4sVU

0 Likes
Gennilyn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
Thanks for posting your experiences. I just received my S22+ a week ago and am now gone on vacation . . . Didn't notice a sound problem until after I'd gotten off my first flight. The sound is completely awful now, crackling, static-y, and distorted. Can't play a YouTube video, notifications and ringtones sound awful, and I can barely hear anyone through the phone when they call.

Not sure I can afford to return it even if I wanted to since I'm not home. [sigh]

Hoping restarts will help. But it's not looking good so far.
kv1532
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
Sorry to hear that. You're definitely not alone. If you bought direct from Samsung, open the return directly on their site and you should have several weeks to return it. Hopefully you'll be back in time to return it.

If you bought from a carrier then it's up to them to swap it out. I'm on my second one and haven't had this problem. I've heard others getting replacements doing the same thing so It might be a matter of trying a few times. This is the sad game we have to play since Samsung isn't admitting a defect yet
userNrfvkGvdcn
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

There is a solution for this problem: Let the speaker play and while playing (with crackling noise) eject the SIM (and put it back in) and it will instantly solve the problem!

kv1532
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
Interesting...I wonder how long it takes to come back. Now I wonder if it's a pressure difference issue with how many people have this issue with changing temps and after flying. Would make sense actually
a123456789
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

This worked for me but . And how often am I going to have to do this? I'm on day 13 with this phone and would much rather get a new one that isn't messed up under the hood. How are more people not having this issue if it's "only" software... I'm thinking it's a mix of both, and unfortunately my internal mix of components aren't a good match.

0 Likes
kv1532
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
File a return asap and purchase a new one. New one should arrive before you need to ship your old one
0 Likes
a123456789
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
While I agree (and did request a replacement yesterday) I'm still thinking this is a design flaw and pretty much anyone with a s22 phone is going to have an issue in temperature and altitude changes. It's a bummer, and I'm not confident the next phone will aft any differently. Still worth a try I guess.
kv1532
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
I was fortunate enough to not have this problem with my new s22. There's a LOT of people with this speaker issue but there's also a lot that have phones functioning well. I think they need to sort out their quality control with the speaker suppier
0 Likes
a123456789
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Oh that is good to hear. I'll keep trying the freezer test until I get a good one then. Thanks for posting this thread!