S22 Ultra blurry camera quality on 1X lens

(Topic created: 10-11-2023 02:51 AM)
mrsofa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I've noticed poor camera quality on the 1X lens. Example:

20231008_135740.jpg

*Photo is mine, taken in Bratislava castle, Slovakia.

About the photo: Check the left and right side. The buildings are indistinctive, also the trees on the right are smudges. This is not from dirty or damaged lenses, this is some kind of broken picture enhancement.

If anyone has doubts this is not a bad photo I will send a picture form another mid range phone. (the photo is incomparably better).

This is not an isolated matter, there is a whole subreddit facing the exact same issue: link to reddit post 

15 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
Other than the composition, poor lighting, and the lack of a any real subject matter, what's the problem with the photo?
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
You've bisected the horizon in half, which goes against the Rule of Thirds and confuses the mind, let alone the camera sensors.

https://youtu.be/UrCM4_NRmvA?si=4VKkshoJuV9XmqAu

The light from the sky is different than the light being reflected of the landscape below. To manage this, the camera will come up with an exposure that, is okay for both, but not the best for either sky or landscape. The best times to shoot landscapes are early morning, just after sunrise, or evening, just before sunset, with the sun at your back. Shadows add perspective. Overcast days or at noon, wipes shadows and flatten the perspective, so you have to include some sort of perspective marker in the shot, such as a person or familiar item. Low lighting conditions may require a tripod to steady the camera.

Not sure what the subject matter is. The tower? The roof? The landscape? The clouds?

I think you would greatly benefits from understanding how the sensors and software work for or against your photos. Screenshot_20231011_070428_Samsung Members.jpg
0 Likes
mrsofa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I am talking about hardware or software problems with the camera, and you are teaching me how to take photos. This was not the point of my question here.

Maybe I didn't explain thoroughly what bothers me here. Here I circled out what parts of the image are blurry or just weird. Especially the edges of the picture are like so. The green square is the area that is sharp and okay, and if you compare that area to other parts of the photo, it's obvious.222222.jpg

And an example, this photo was taken the same day, same time by my friend, that's even why I even used this photo at the first place because it's similar. But using a Honor Magic5 Pro. IMG_20231008_135725.jpg

Also a note to others that replied:
The photo was taken still, not through glass, and the lens was cleaned before.

I would like to note that 3/4 of my photos are like this, it's not an isolated case. If you have any doubts of my problem I am willing to take a new photo, describe what you want to see and I will show you it's on every photo.

0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
You miss my points entirely. How you frame the photo affects the software. Even in the photos above there is a slight shift in perspective, which can make all the difference.

I don't find many professional photographers on YouTube saying that this phone has such bad results for a non-SLR device.

I challenge you to invest some time in putting more thought into your photos as to composition and lighting and see if you don't come back with sharper, clearer, and more satisfying pictures.

Finally, for those that want to point and shoot, I don't think that they would object to your s22 photo. Certainly Samsung has improved the camera in the s23, as they have done incrementally over time.
0 Likes
Ivan Milanovic
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

Your condescending tone does not help at all. You are the one that does not understand. This is landscape photo, only centar part of picture is sharp, and that is problem since latest updates. It was not originaly like this. It is like softwer use bokeh automaticly, you can not change this. And it is only on main camera on 1x zoom. Wide camera and zoomed pictures are sharp. It is only problem with the main default state

0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
You are right though, there are issues. But you can get better results by choosing your shots with more purpose and thought.
0 Likes
jennis23
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Actually, I have had my s23 for about 6 months, and this camera takes terrible photos, that i cannot fix. I mainly take wilderness photos with the main lens. The exposure is off, the photos blurry, and super noisy, even on a sunny day. My s10 was fantastic with zero effort and I thought I was getting an upgrade when I got this. I'm following this thread because I'm hoping for a solution, also. It should not be this hard to get a decent photo on an $800 phone.
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
The 1x lens is intended for photos taken indoors or other enclosed areas where the subject, usually a person, is relatively close to the camera lens and there are few light sources. Not that landscapes can't be taken with this lens, but one has to remember that the focus sensor and light readings are concentrated at the center of frame, unless adjusted.
0 Likes
Ivan Milanovic
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

It was not like that before. It started happening with latest major update. And no, main original setting is meda to be used "pickup and shoot". As it is in all phones. For professional phitograpy people use professional cameras.