JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S22 will not work with my hearing aids for phone

(Topic created: 10-24-2022 10:26 AM)
Big-Rich1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I wear Phonak hearing aids which worked with my previous Pixel phone for phones calls, and music apps via Bluetooth. It also worked for the manufacturer provided hearing aid control app.

I needed to replace my Pixel phone and I bought a Samsung Galaxy S22. I paired my hearing aids with the phone and loaded the Phonak app which works via Bluetooth but no other apps work with the hearing aids as output devices, not even for phone calls.

Is there some setting which is not correct for this to work or is this considerably more expensive phone not capable of identifying and using my hearing aids as an output device?

My hearing aids are Phonak Audéo M90-R. The hearing aid manual says they should work with "Android" phones so I'm hoping it it just a setting which I cannot find that would enable the device to be listed and therefor selected for a two way communications device.

Any thoughts on what setting may need to be changed or enabled? See attached page from the Phonak manual indicating that it should work. Using hearing aids for phone calls.jpg

10 Replies
Patriot1776USA
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
I also have the exact same hearing aids and a S22 Ultra. They work for everything you asked about. These are the 3 I have for Bluetooth connection for my hearing aids. Do you have the same ?. If not I would try to remove them from Bluetooth, and remove the app. Then start over again and hopefully this will work Screenshot_20221023_140632_Samsung Members.jpg
Big-Rich1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

This is more complicated than it should be but, my "Phonak app" does not look like yours and actually, it shouldn't matter. When I go to the Google Play Store, there is only one app that I see there. There are three different ways to get to it, but only one app.

My hearing aids show up in the Phonak app device list. If I try to enable phone or streaming functionality, it says that an app is required for that.

I erased the profile for both hearing aids and rebooted the phone and rebooted the hearing aids and paired them again successfully but I get the same message when I try to add the phone and audio streaming functionality.

Do you perhaps have another app somewhere on your phone that may be enabling that functionality and your Phonak app is just using that device connection profile?

I have Spotify installed on my phone but that only plays through the phone and does not see a connection to the hearing aids.

This was all simple and automatic on my Pixel. Any ideas Patriot1776JG?

0 Likes
Patriot1776USA
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
Well maybe two
Trying going to where you got the hearing aids from and see if they can help. Or try reaching out to Phonak on their website
0 Likes
Solution
Big-Rich1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Well, I got it working... sort of.

I found a hidden app from good old Samsung by poking around on the Internet. It's called "Samsung Smart Things". The only way I accessed it was to do an app search since it's icon is not in with all the others.

Anyway I was able to do a add/search and it found and added my RIGHT hearing aid to its device list. Now I tested it and it seems to work. It will take me a while to find out what works and how to use it but I was able to receive a phone call.

Here is a screenshot from within the "Smart Things" app which Shows the special icon for streaming and phone prefaced by an "R" for "RIGHT" I assume.

Screenshot_20221024-130212_SmartThings.jpg

Patriot1776USA
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
Your smart things matches mine. So you should be up and good to go
Deja3
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Check your Samsung folder at the beginning of your app drawer. SmartThings is usually in there by default...🙂
0 Likes
Deja3
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
The app it's referring to is your SmartThings app. Try opening that and connecting through there...also, the screenshot Patriot1776JG shared is also that app.
0 Likes
Big-Rich1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Yes, I wrote that it was called "Smart Things" in my post. And, I supplied a screenshot and set it as my accepted solution. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Deja3
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Sorry, yes, I was writing my suggestion as you posted yours. I'm glad you figured it out!
0 Likes