JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra -- check your charger connection

(Topic created: 02-17-2024 10:34 PM)
TJayDa
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22

Ever since I got this phone (Nov. 2022), I've always used wireless charging. But there been times where I need to use the USB C port. And when I do, I've repeatedly gotten the following message: 

And yes, I've already tried clearing the charging cache so that message would perhaps go away.

Plus when that message happens, the speed of the charging is slow (between 1.2 to 0.8 Ah). I used a USB Voltage/Current tester.

When I reinsert the cable several times, it will improve (anywhere from 1.6 to 1.4 Ah) while the error won't pop up again. -- using a 12w / 5v / 2.4A Anker USB A charger.

But then sometimes after a while the USB cable gets pushed out from the charging port on the phone. It simply slips out.

And yes, I've already checked for any foreign material inside the cable's and phone's ports and been blown out and vacuumed.

I've always used good quality cables (ie Anker) and they don't have any issues with my other USB-C devices. -- They are always well kept and I have new cables ready when I need to replace them.

Plus when I plug these cables to those other devices, I get a good solid click as they snap into place and never get pushed out. 

This click I never get from my S22 Ultra, it almost feels like it's a little loose in there, like if the gap inside the USB C cable is larger than the thin circuit board the phone has on its female port. -- And no, the port inside my phone is not broken or anything, it doesn't move or anything, what I mean about loose is that the cable doesn't feel like it makes a solid connection. 

Anyways after spending some time looking into the matter more closely I think I found the issue. It seems that not all USB C cables have the same type of plug design.

When I see inside the male port, I see that the Anker cable has a connector pattern (those small teeth-like tips) inside that are different from other types of brands or makes. 

And when I've tried these other cable brands (mostly generic or those that came with my JBL Bluetooth Headphones) they have a tighter hold when I insert them into my phone's female port. 

And with these generic cables, I don't get the message from the phone (I mentioned earlier) and they stay connected very well (a very solid connection). -- Tight to the point that I have to make a slight effort in disconnecting the cable (the same experience I get with the Anker cables on my other devices).

Plus it also seems that the main connectors inside the Anker cable are placed further back from the tip, so I am guessing this is why they don't make a solid connection on my phone. Or the phone's female port main connectors are way too far back also? Because these Anker cables work well with my other devices.

Here are pictures on what I am referring to above about the male ports of these USB C cables:

The pictures above show both the Anker and generic USB-C male tips: and while the generic type worked fine on my phone the Anker brand do not.

Saying that my new issue is the generic cables I own are not meant for fast charging speeds, higher voltage, and are too short (less than a foot long).

So I'd like to know if other S22 Ultra users have come across this problem? And if anyone could share what other brands they've purchased that work well with their phones. 

I do mostly my shopping online and that makes it difficult to see a picture of the tips to see how the connector inside are designed... So I can't compare them, I would have to buy a lot of them to finally find the correct fit.

I'm interested in those long 6ft long USB A to USB C cable types. C to C would be good also, but I'd like the A to C since it's most commonly available where I commute every day. 

For the longest I've used the Anker brand, but I guess for this phone I gotta get a different design when it comes those little teeth inside their male ports.😬

Plus can anyone from Samsung verify if this is a common issue or not?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungRyder
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S22

Hello, thank you for reaching out about this. I can certainly understand the inconvenience of some chargers not working as well as others. When it comes to using third-party accessories, including chargers or cables, full compatibility is not guaranteed, which is why it is recommended to use the factory provided chargers and USB cables, or Samsung official ones that support your S22 Ultra. 
Do you experience these symptoms if you try to charge your device in safe mode? If your phone is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the behavior. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe Mode feature. In Safe Mode, your phone won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identity and remove the app that may be causing the problem.

Give this link a try to test your device in safe mode: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

I would also recommend checking your charging port to make sure there isn't anything blocking the charging connections.

Lastly, you can try a factory reset, which will give the device a clean, fresh start. Be sure to back up everything you wish not to lose beforehand: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/

If the troubleshooting is not helpful, the phone will need to be evaluated by a certified technician.

You can use the following link to find a list of service centers in the U.S. that can do the repair: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location or by contacting customer support at 1-800-726-7864.

For international customers, please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html 

View solution in context

0 Likes
3 Replies
Options
Galaxy S22
My s24 ultra is telling me that the USB - c cable I'm using with a high capacity power bank is " inferior". I use it at work, at home I use a 45w charger I bought from Samsung.
Tg1016
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
I've noticed through all the Samsung phones that I've owned, there is almost always an issue with 3rd party charging cables. For that reason I always buy the chargers directly from Samsung.
Solution
SamsungRyder
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S22

Hello, thank you for reaching out about this. I can certainly understand the inconvenience of some chargers not working as well as others. When it comes to using third-party accessories, including chargers or cables, full compatibility is not guaranteed, which is why it is recommended to use the factory provided chargers and USB cables, or Samsung official ones that support your S22 Ultra. 
Do you experience these symptoms if you try to charge your device in safe mode? If your phone is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the behavior. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe Mode feature. In Safe Mode, your phone won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identity and remove the app that may be causing the problem.

Give this link a try to test your device in safe mode: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

I would also recommend checking your charging port to make sure there isn't anything blocking the charging connections.

Lastly, you can try a factory reset, which will give the device a clean, fresh start. Be sure to back up everything you wish not to lose beforehand: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/

If the troubleshooting is not helpful, the phone will need to be evaluated by a certified technician.

You can use the following link to find a list of service centers in the U.S. that can do the repair: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location or by contacting customer support at 1-800-726-7864.

For international customers, please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html 

0 Likes