Original topic:

Ultrasonic fingerprint reader issues

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
Options
Galaxy S22
To all those out there with a Samsung S series phone (especially Ultra fans), why do we continuously have issues with the ultrasonic fingerprint reader? Since my purchase of the S22 ultra of 2 yrs ago, I frequently struggle to unlock my phone when pressing on the fingerprint reader. Will Samsung ever get it right with under the glass technology? Maybe Samsung should just place the fingerprint reader within the power button. 
0 Likes
19 Replies
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Re-register your finger or register the same finger multiple times as it allows you to have up to 4 fingerprints and does not reject duplicates. I have had nothing but good results from the ultrasonic over the three devices I've had with them, it's the industry best and having just switched to a flip6 I miss it *so* much. The power button fps is smaller, appears to be less accurate, fails when even slightly wet or dirty, and cannot adapt to changes like a cut on the finger.
Options
Galaxy S22
Thank you for the suggestion of using the same finger 4x BUT it doesn't make a difference. I've deleted all the registrations and started all over again so many times. I don't know if it's because I have very large hands/fingers but the scanner is very inconsistent. It's gotten so bad that I just skip the scanner and use my pin to unlock my phone.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22
Do you happen to have a screen protector installed? That can interfere with the FP sensor.

Also pressing with a lot of force can distort your finger print and cause it not to be recognized. It doesn't take a lot of force for it to be read.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes, I always buy the Samsung screen protectors from Samsung's website. When I do the registration process to scan my finger, I press gently and the phone says to press harder so it can get a proper scan. I press how the phone tells me to press on the screen when setting up the fingerprints. Once it's all setup, if I press gently or with more force and the phone will say retry and next thing I know, it's several attempts and then I have to put in my pin to unlock the phone. So annoying!!! This happens everyday.
0 Likes
Magicant1983
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Are your hands rough and dry? If so, you need to moisturize your hands with a decent lotion and you'll find it much easier for your fingerprint to be read (or lick your finger everything b4 trying)
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
My hands do not have any calluses, cuts or bruises. Before I started the registration process of fingerprint reading, I washed my hands and then applied lotion to my hands. Then I wanted about 20 minutes before I started the process. I wanted for the lotion to settle in and didn't put alot of lotion on either. My hands were not sweaty or dry.
0 Likes
Dinop43
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
My experience with screen protectors if you have one is that the privacy screen protectors rarely if ever work i would go with a matte or clear and the tickness matters. 0.25 thickness is the limit and rescan fingerprint everytime
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes, I do have a clear screen protector that's made by Samsung (not even 3rd party). And I do delete all saved fingerprint scans and start the process all over again. Allow the phone to learn my presses(hard or light touches). Still have issues with the ultrasonic fingerprint reader.
0 Likes
Magicant1983
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
During winter, that's why I have issues getting it to read mine. Another one to cross off the list anyway. Good luck finding the solution!