Original topic:

Any way to set my AlwaysOnDisplay to turn on for notifications AND tap to show?

(Topic created: 3 hours ago)
EfficiencyFan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

I want to be able to turn on the AOD for any new notifications but also for when I tap the phone (in the middle of the night when I have all notifications off). Is there any way to achieve this without third party app. I've found that third party apps increase AOD battery drain quite a bit. I'm on OneUI 6.1 on my S23 and Lockstar does not have this functionality (it does not work at all for me).

Also, is there a way to change the icon size of notifications on AOD

0 Likes
4 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

If you go to settings/lock screen and AOD, you can turn the AOD on, and if you tap the Always on Display text, it will bring up another screen where you can tap "when to show" and choose tap to show. But, why have an AOD if it's going to be off until you show it?  It's just an additional lock screen anyway.  You can see your notifications on the lock screen.

0 Likes
Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
The reason for having it off would be most likely to save battery.
EfficiencyFan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

The options there are either use Tap to Show or For New Notifications. I want both not either. I DON'T want my AOD off until I show it. I want it turned on when I get a new notification but also if I tap the phone when there are no new notifications, otherwise its too battery intensive.

I want AOD because I want to see what notifications I have without touching the phone. Also, if I want to see the clock in the middle of the night AOD is much darker than my lock screen. 

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

Well, I guess there are limited options for you then.  Perhaps you can play around with the routines.   I'm not exactly sure, but I think if you have it set to show for notifications, you can still also double tap it.  You can play around with it and see.

Personally, I'm not checking for notifications in the middle of the night, as there is nothing that important.  Anything that important (like FEMA warnings during hurricane season) is set to get through my DND/sleep mode settings.  If someone expires, they are just as dead in the morning and there is no reason for me to be up fretting about it.  If someone was ill enough that that message was expected, I'd probably let it through my DND as well.  Up until I started snore detection with my sleep tracking, I never even went to bed with the phone in the same room.

I keep my AOD on all the time, when I choose to have it on, and there is negligible impact on battery life.

0 Likes