JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Built-in video calling option missing for AT&T

(Topic created: 01-02-2024 03:59 PM)
TechieSophie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

I have AT&T as my carrier. They have been trying to get my phone to be able to do video calls with the phone app (as opposed to using Google Meet), but my phone is missing VoLTE setting toggle in the Mobile Networks setting. AT&T said they've tried to push updates to my phone to fix this, but they're unable to do so because Samsung did not allow them to be able to make the changes to my phone. Why am I not able to configure VoLTE on my phone? Please help me fix this! I'm supposed to have this feature on my mobile phone plan. The rest of my family members with phones purchased from AT&T on the same plan as me have the ability to do video call from the Phone app, but not me, because my phone has been purchased from Samsung instead of AT&T.  My Phone app defaults to Google Meet for video calls, and I'm unable to select anything else. AT&T said my SIM has been provisioned for video call, but the VoLTE component is missing on my phone's mobile network, and they haven't been able to manually push it to my phone, and the problem is on Samsung's end. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION
23 Replies
TechieSophie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

I just started using video call a couple of years ago (on my old phone Galaxy Note 20 Ultra) with the built-in video call in the Phone app that's now missing in the S23 Ultra. My aunt in California is getting old and I want to stay connected with her more. She's just learning to use a smart phone and it's been challenging enough to teach her to use the built-in video call in the Phone app. Using Google Meet or any other external app would just be too complicated for her. So, I really need to have the native one-click AT&T video call feature on my phone!  After all the research I've done, I am almost certain this has to do with the restructuring of the bootloader and folders in Android system. I can't make any changes to MSI settings (which is apparently where the video call provision toggle is) without rooting the phone (which will trip the Knox). And I am guessing this is the reason AT&T has not been able to provision video calls on my phone. I'm really regretting buying the phone from Samsung instead of AT&T now.

0 Likes
PACritic
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
Could you trade in with them possibly.
0 Likes
TechieSophie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I would consider it if only it isn't a downgrade that will cost me more money! AT&T only has black phones with 256 GB storage. Mine is red with 1 TB storage (both choices only available through Samsung). I'm a photographer, so large storage is important. Even though I have much better hardware, I doubt they would compensate me for that in a trade or even do a straight trade. I'm sure that they would charge me for the trade.
0 Likes
Solution
TechieSophie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

The last AT&T technician I talked to said she's seen this same problem in other Galaxy S23 Ultra, regardless of where they're purchased. So, it seems to be the new Android update that's replaced the built-in video call with Google Meet. GRRR. This doesn't solve my problem, but it at least explains the why and save me the effort of trying to root and flashing firmware. 

Samsung, if you're reading this, please bring back the old built-in video call in the dialer app in your next update!

0 Likes