Original topic:

Data switching and backup calling

(Topic created: 05-28-2024 03:37 AM)
mojoflojo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
The data switching and backup calling feature is not working on my phone.

I expect to be able to make calls by wifi calling through the data of the secondary sim with data. 

I am able to make wifi calls through the primary sim when connected to wifi, but not calls through the data of the secondary sim so it seems as though the backup calling snd data switching feature is not working.

I have already reset my mobile network settings, restarted phone, deleted all other esims, called service providers of both sim and ensured it was nothing on their end since this feature works on iPhone for example and my secondary sim has unlimited data that I use.

My primary sim is able to make calls through wifi but not through the data of the second sim, which is the whole point of the feature!

My primary sim is an esim and my secondary sim is a physical sim that I use for internet.

Can someone help investigate this? This is pretty fundamental to why I got this phone.

4 Replies
McStorey
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
The eSim is virtual so the phone does know its there. The only thing with virtual things is they have to be configured properly. Go into the more Sim settings and there should be an option to route wifi calls through the esim
0 Likes
mojoflojo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
That option is already enabled, it's towards the end of my post above but I mention I'm able to make wifi calls through my primary esim when on wifi but not through the data of my secondary sim
0 Likes
coter
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

An update. I put in my US SIM as primary. Then, ar networks instead of automatic, Inkooked manually for networks and all the networks showed as "Extended Network". I selected one and of course it didn't get access, I had a zero slashed for network.

At this time I waited for the secondary eSIM to get data. It NEVER did switch to that data

After a few minutes I made that secondary eSIM primary and I got immediately the data connection.

This is sad for Samsung, Android in general. Not sure if a Pixel would act differently. I am even more upset because I saw that Exynos models have more flexibility in this specific issue.

I hate iPhone, tried it a bit, but in this specific use case it's better.

0 Likes
dnertun
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Same issue. I have SIM 1 as my primary (physical sim) but I can no longer use data as I'm traveling abroad. My secondary SIM is an eSim. I have the switch data turned on but it never switches. If I make the eSim the primary it instantly connects but then I can no longer text. Anyone have an update on this?
0 Likes