Original topic:

Extended unlock does not work

(Topic created: Monday)
Cyberwasp
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23

I really wish they'd fix this. I have trusted places and devices set up to keep my phone unlocked. However, it has never worked.

11 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

how do you mean never worked? Never worked at all, or relocks after a period of time?  If you used connected devices if the device is disconnected, even briefly (like if you step out of range), the phone will lock. if you use trusted places, since it uses google maps data, if the location is not accurate, it may not encompass the whole area and the phone will lock if you step beyond the geofence. For security purposes, it will lock after a period of inactivity and after a missed phone call.

I set mine to stay unlocked when connected to my watch (only the BT connection, it does not work for remote because in the brief period it disconnects from BT and connects to Wi-Fi, the phone has already locked). I also set a routine to stay unlocked while connected to my home network, because google has my home location so wrong, it's not even funny.  

0 Likes
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
I don't use Google's Extend Unlock triggers (Trusted places, Trusted devices, etc.) to keep the phone unlocked. I tried that when I first got my previous phone, but found Google's Trusted place triggers unreliable and switched to using Samsung's settings instead.

Samsung has the ability to add locations (home, work, etc.) to your profile in Samsung Contacts. You can add a wifi network to one of these places to make sure your phone can confirm that you're at the right location. You can then use the places in your Samsung profile as triggers for Modes and Routines. For example, I have a Routine that triggers while I'm at home and, among other things, keeps my phone unlocked.

When you set a place as a trigger for a Mode or Routine you can define the radius around that location, so I'm able to have the whole house included in the same Place trigger. This radius can be set anywhere from .1 miles to 1.2 miles.

I have another Routine set up to unlock my phone and keep it unlocked while it's connected to my car via Bluetooth. I've found this to be very reliable so far.

(Be aware that when setting up or editing any Routine that keeps your phone unlocked, you'll be required to enter a passcode or fingerprint before you can save that Routine.)

This method still has Extended Unlock's limitations (still need to enter pin/passcode after 4 hours, after missed call, etc.). This just provides a more reliable and flexible way to trigger it.
user23ecMjeRxq
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Hallelujah!!! Thank you SO MUCH! I've been trying to find some way to get this to work for a very LONG time. Yours is the FIRST successful approach! Thank you, thank you, thank you 😀

Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
You're very welcome. I'm glad you found this helpful. 😊
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23

Just saw your post and THANK YOU!! I was about to post a question on how to get Extend Unlock to actually work, and I saw your notes. Have set up my home and wifi in my profile and did up a couple routines. Now we'll see how well they work. Nothing more frustrating than sitting in your house with your watch on and having your phone a foot away lock up on you after you just used it and set it down. Guessing I need to turn Extend Unlock off so that it doesn't override the Routine? Or can multiple things be active? And another follow-up question, I set up one routine for being home (in case my wifi is out) and another for being on my home wifi. Is it an issue then if both are running? More battery draining?

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
I turned Google's Extend Unlock stuff off a few years ago and haven't missed it.  I prefer the way Samsung's version works and have rarely had any problems with it.

I don't think your two home Routines will conflict, but I don't think I've ever tried a setup like that.  I guess try it for awhile and see how it works out. 

I think the Intelligent Wi-Fi settings can handle automatically switching the phone's Wi-Fi off and on.  You might be interested in looking into those settings too (Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > three-dots menu).
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23

Thanks. Just created another routine for when phone and watch are connected, so that it can stay unlocked when I'm on break / lunch at work. Turned off last of the Extend Unlock, which never really seemed to work consistently. I'll watch battery, since now there are 3 different routines potentially running at once. Is there a way to do "or" instead of "and" and do just one routine?

I do have Intelligent Wi-Fi turned on.

CWinkler
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

I haven't seen a way to do and/or, and think they should add it as an option.

Extend unlock does not interfere with the routine. I use extend unlock to keep my phone unlocked when connected to my watch.  I had it on for trusted places, but since Google maps hates where I live, I couldn't get it to recognize my home.  I saw the post about setting a routine for home unlock (may or may not have been this one); and just created one to remain unlocked when on my home wi-fi network.  They both work fine, neither conflicting with the other - maybe because they use two different triggers?  I don't think there is a gross negative impact on battery life, as I think the routines just sit passively waiting for the trigger.  I believe that just because something is running in the background it doesn't mean it's using a lot of resources.

0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23

My Extend Unlock never consistently worked when connected to my watch or my home. Not sure about my car since I don't usually use anything other than calling when in the car and hardly do that. Interestingly, even with Extend Unlock not having any devices or places trusted, that text still shows on my lock screen with the routines running. But so far so good on then just having to swipe that screen away and not use my fingerprint.

CWinkler
0 Likes