Original topic:

Modes and Routines

(Topic created: 14 hours ago)
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Wondering if anyone out there has had successful experience using Modes and Routines to get notifications while driving to read out aloud on older vehicles with early Bluetooth capability. I have been able to compensate by using a Roav Bolt and the Free Notification Reader app. But the set up has it's quirks. I would like to improve my set up if possible. But it does seem the FNR app is resolution due to the Bluetooth version. 
20 Replies
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
I have my Driving Routine set to read weather alerts, etc. aloud. This Routine activates when it detects my 2012 Ford's Bluetooth. It's worked very well for me so far and doesn't require a third party app to speak the notifications.

I tried setting up a Driving Mode when I first got this phone, but I ended up preferring a Routine for this purpose.1721915457217.jpg1721915457243.jpg1721915554185.jpg
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Thanks. Do you happen to know which Bluetooth version the vehicle has? I believe mine is 2.0 in a 2008 RAV4. I did try the read aloud feature but in Driving mode as opposed to routines. And by having my Bolt connected by aux, I do get notifications when in auxiliary mode but not when listening to the radio. That's where FNR is working for me. And Bluetooth kits that work via FM are no good for me - too many stations and would need a kit that finds the empty station and then returns automatically.
But thank you again for your response.
PS - I wish there was a technician that really had expert guidance using the Modes and Routines feature for the more complicated issues.
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
One more thing to be clear, I am trying to get notifications to not only read out aloud but come through the radio selection of the head unit in the vehicle, not just read aloud on the phone. And the transfer feature to other Bluetooth devices does not seem to work at all without the auxiliary connection. Very basic Bluetooth
0 Likes
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
Ah, okay. I don't know if I can help you with that. I don't know what version of Bluetooth is on my car, but whatever it is, it's so old that only phone calls will go through the car stereo. If I try to send music or voice directions from a navigation app, it just ends up muting everything.

I'd love to have all sounds come through the car stereo, but I think the car is too old and I'm not techie enough to know whether anything can be done about it.
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Appreciate your input. My situation was the same - only calls through the car. The problem I believe is the older Bluetooth. But by using Free Notification Reader app, I am able to get notifications through the radio when listening. And you can get music from your phone to come through the head unit if you have aux on your head unit and an aux input. Even though Samsung has gotten rid of the 3mm plug, there are adapters that will covert the C USB to a 3mm plug so you can connect your phone to the car. You might want to look into that. Good luck and thanks again
0 Likes
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
You're welcome. Thanks for the info about Free Notification Reader. I'll have a look at it.
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Besides getting the notification through the head unit, this app is nice because if you get a text while driving you can listen and respond hands free.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
You can always try playing with a routine to see if you can do what you want it to do. You can edit til it works or delete it if it doesnt.
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Have done that to no avail if you notice in my post. I believe the issue lies with the Bluetooth version. There is nothing on the phone that that compensates.
0 Likes