Original topic:

S23+ (S23 Plus) noise reduction in camera software

(Topic created: 7 hours ago)
userPiqI0lIq25
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

Hello!

When I check out cameras on my S23+ - I saw alot digital noise on photos inside building like there is no noise cansaletion processing.

And HDR doesn't work (!) - you need turning on 'Advanced intelligence options' to Maximum - but it's can ruin your pictures with excessive processing in some cases but on 'Medium' or 'Minimum' level - HDR doesn't work at all

HDR option is missing from default camera software (On S20 FE with OneUI 5.1 it still here) and you need necessarily install Camera Assistant (Good Lock) to turn on HDR and setting up 'image softness' to reduce some noise...

So...

1. Please add HDR to camera as a separate option that will work completely independently of other image processing options
2. Make a separate switch for ā€œnoise reductionā€ and ā€œadvanced intelligence optionsā€ - so that you can reduce the amount of noise, but at the same time not get artificial colors and deformed textures of objects as at the ā€œmaximumā€ level.

Thanks!

2 Replies
Munif_10
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

Hi there,

Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding the camera functionality on your Galaxy S23+. It sounds like youā€™re experiencing some issues with digital noise and HDR performance. Iā€™ll relay your feedback to the appropriate channels, but in the meantime, here are some steps and recommendations that might help improve your camera experience:

Addressing Digital Noise and HDR Issues

1. Update Your Device:
ā€¢ Ensure your device is running the latest software version. Go to Settings > Software update > Download and install.
2. Camera Settings and Adjustments:
ā€¢ Camera Assistant (Good Lock): Since you mentioned using the Camera Assistant app from Good Lock, make sure it is up to date.
ā€¢ Advanced Intelligence Options: You can try adjusting these settings to find a balance that works for you. It might take some experimentation to get the best results for your specific conditions.
3. Noise Reduction:
ā€¢ Currently, noise reduction and HDR are tied into the broader advanced intelligence options. Your suggestion for separate controls is noted and will be passed along for consideration in future updates.
4. Third-Party Camera Apps:
ā€¢ Consider using third-party camera apps that offer more granular control over settings like noise reduction and HDR. Apps such as Open Camera or Adobe Lightroom may provide the control you need.
5. Manual Mode:
ā€¢ Use the Pro mode available in the Samsung Camera app to manually adjust settings like ISO, shutter speed, and white balance. This can help you control noise levels and improve image quality in challenging lighting conditions.
6. Feedback to Samsung:
ā€¢ You can provide direct feedback to Samsung through the Samsung Members app. This helps the development team understand user needs and can influence future updates and features.
ā€¢ Open the Samsung Members app.
ā€¢ Go to Get help > Send feedback > Error reports or Suggestions.

Specific Recommendations:

1. Adding HDR as a Separate Option:
ā€¢ This is a great suggestion. In the meantime, using the Camera Assistant to control HDR settings is the best workaround. You can also experiment with different levels of the Advanced Intelligence Options to find a balance that works for you.
2. Separate Switch for Noise Reduction:
ā€¢ While we await potential software updates that might introduce this feature, using Pro mode and third-party apps can give you more control over noise reduction.

userPiqI0lIq25
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

Hello and thank you for your reply!

Phone and Camera software is up to date.

At this time I select "Medium" for "Advanced Intelligence Options" but there is no HDR: light areas overexposed. I just shoot - knowing this. In the "Maximum" mode, HDR works, but in some cases the phone begins to "add in" colors and textures that are not there - the frames are not natural, some objects have false colors and textures.
But, in any case, thank you for your attention and recommendations!

Off-top: Itā€™s just that when switching from S20 FE (2020) to S23+ (2023), I would like to see growth and development in the photo/video capabilities, but here I have mixed feelings: smooth zoom in video and a good automatic night mode in S23+, but the photo quality is not constant between scenarios with out HDR and with alot of noise on images, where S20 FE shows greater stability, even if not ideal quality.

0 Likes