JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S23 (not ultra or +) Macro shots

(Topic created: 02-05-2023 01:13 PM)
Tiaza
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I got an S21 a few years back, after having an S10 for several years. That S10 took great close up pix! So when they were touting the camera upgrades on the S21, I was really excited - and then really irritated because the S21 can't take a clear close up photo to save it's life. I mean, no matter what setting I tried, close ups were always fuzzy. Full disclosure, I don't know how to use the SLR style mode, so maybe that was the answer.

I've seen the hype on the Ultra's many lenses and modes, but does anyone have any idea how good the close ups are on the regular S23? If you buy one, please post your impressions on the quality of their close ups. I'll do the same. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

@Tiaza 

Macro photography is the term you're looking for. I haven't tried it myself on the S23, but my Fold4, which has the same camera system as the S22, takes very good Macro shots. The trick there is instead of bringing your phone very close to a subject, you need to hold it a few inches away, and zoom in closer to it from the camera app. A phone will authomatically switch to the best camera for a specific shot. The preview on the screen might not look too great, but it will give you an idea on where the image looks the sharpest, then once you take it, the AI will do some magic and it should come out looking much clearer, sharper and brighter.

In other words. The S23 camera should be great for your use case.

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

View solution in context

6 Replies
Axel-Hurtado
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23

here you have an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5taLWTdrTN8

Camera Comparison between the brand new Samsung Galaxy S23 against its biggest rival at this size and price the iPhone 14! Some important thing to notice: 1. Every daylight picture is taken in auto mode without adjusting any of the settings and they are being displayed without edits! 2. Videos are
0 Likes
Tiaza
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I've seen this kind of comparison (and I actually like the iPhone pix a little better), but this isn't the extreme close up in talking about. Think butterfly on a flower, details on a piece of jewelry, a dog toenail, the veins on a leaf. You may be asking why you'd want a close up of a dog toenail, but the point is I need a camera that will give great close ups. If the S23's camera is at least as good as the S21's overall, that would be great. This camera takes good shots of most things, AMAZING zoomed up shots of the moon (seriously, you can see great details). I just hope the close ups are improved. Thanks for the link.
0 Likes
Solution
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

@Tiaza 

Macro photography is the term you're looking for. I haven't tried it myself on the S23, but my Fold4, which has the same camera system as the S22, takes very good Macro shots. The trick there is instead of bringing your phone very close to a subject, you need to hold it a few inches away, and zoom in closer to it from the camera app. A phone will authomatically switch to the best camera for a specific shot. The preview on the screen might not look too great, but it will give you an idea on where the image looks the sharpest, then once you take it, the AI will do some magic and it should come out looking much clearer, sharper and brighter.

In other words. The S23 camera should be great for your use case.

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

Dmoore39
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
Yes you have to at least back up a few inches to let the camera focus and let it do it's thing I also have the S21+ and never had any problems and definitely getting the S23+ probably around the fall on ebay as it's way cheaper by then
Rdubz
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
I've got an s21 ultra 5g, and it takes GREAT photos. Close up, wide view, panorama... Whatever you want. And the moon shots this phone takes is phenomenal. It's like an astrological telescope in your pocket!
Tiaza
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
The same with the regular 21, except the close ups