JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S23 ultra camera over exposed

(Topic created: 09-05-2023 08:59 AM)
Ash45
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

Notice top three window panes on the right side. There are bricks on the wall but in the picture it's totally blown up.

Is anyone facing camera oversaturation issue with s23 ultra ? 
148 Replies
hanfish
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Hello I'm hoping someone can help here as feel like I am currently banging my head against a brick wall.

So I forked out, ALOT of money for the Galaxy S23 Ultra on the basis that it apparently has the best camera.  I am an antiques dealer and I brought it as photographing stock is a big part of what I do.

My issue, is that every time I take a picture, I get a notification about the photo refining and it is absolutely ruining my pictures! It's making them really dark and shadowy, even though I am taking the pictures in a properly lit room .

I am currently chatting to a Samsung agent but it's pretty clear they have no idea what they are doing and as far as I can see, there is absolutely no way of stopping this from happening.

Very frustrated as I have spent in excess of a grand on a phone that isn't even fit for purpose.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
TheRabbi
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23

Have you tried turning "Scene Optimizer" OFF in camera settings? Also, make sure the filters wand isn't inadvertently turned on and applying a filter you're not aware of? I'm also assuming you're using the standard camera app, not Expert RAW or Pro modes.

Screenshot_20230905_112210_Camera.jpg

ā€ƒ

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
Do you have an example picture to show.
MarkC609
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
hanfish, I will try to help as best I can. Please tell me more about this notification you are recieving when the photo is refining? As far as I'm aware when I snap a photo in either 50MP or 200MP mode I am unaware of any notification about photo refining. There is a brief couple of seconds after taking the photo where the photo is processing through the software AI before the photo is final and ready in the Gallery. As far as taking the best photos for what you are using it for I myself do not use the higher 50MP/200MP modes. I tend to use the 12MP mode with 3X zoom. Sometimes I like to use Portrait Mode in 2x or 3x which really allows the products to be highlighted. I find using the 50MP or 200MP modes best for outdoor shots or naturally lit indoor shots and after processing zooming in the photos to crop the imagine for better sharpness in the details over the standard 12MP. Again, this is just how I tend to use my S23U to take photos of products I sell online or want to post on social media. There is alot of info about how to get the most out of your S23 Ultra 50MP & 200MP modes on YouTube. There is definitely a learning curve to using these modes and without researching online it can be frustrating at first to using these modes. Good luck and I hope my experience helped you.
hanfish
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Hi Mark

So it is the refining photo notification which appears 1-2 seconds after a picture is taken - which I am guessing is the processing that you are referring to.  The problem is, is that during this processing the pictures appear to get a lot darker and shadowy even, some of them just look hazy and this is only after the "refining" notification appears - the few seconds before this starts happening the picture looks really good.  I understand that the phone has to optimise but I don't know why the AI changes the light and contrast so much - I never had these issues with the S21 and the 64 mp camera which is why I can't understand what is happening now.

Useful info re portrait mode though - I will give that a go next time.

MarkC609
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
Using the 50MP & 200MP mode on the S23 Ultra definetly takes a learning curve to get the best out of them. I was able to lookup a really good article from CNN about using the S23U's camera and there are some really good points in it. I'll leave the link below for you. Glad I can offer some advice for you.

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/electronics/samsung-galaxy-s23-ultra-camera-guide-tips
0 Likes
Johnbullshark
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

I have had it with this phone for that reason too. 200 and 50 mp have auto ai refining that ruins the photo. There's not any current setting that can fix it either. Scene optimizer isn't a fix. Neither is hdr or any camera assistant setting. I have done all the adjustments that I've seen suggested and none work. I find it hard to believe Samsung hasn't had enough complaints to make a way to turn off the ai refinement, but apparently not. 

SamsungJustin
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S23

Hello, we just wanted to check in, is there anyone still experiencing this? If not, can you advise when the symptoms stopped? 

Members_6HbVMbB
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

YES! The over-exposure issue is incredibly annoying. Also the over-sharpening. All my photos are super crinkly with blown- out highlights. The only way I can get a decent shot is to take a video and grab stills from it. I bought this phone specifically for the camera and am very disappointed. (Camera Assistant is now useless btw as the app has been abandoned.)

0 Likes