JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S23U: Where is the Voice-to-text mic for keyboard?!

(Topic created: 04-01-2024 10:21 AM)
jasmineberg
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I have a galaxy S23 Ultra and updated this morning to 6.1 and now can't use voice to text in my text app.  It installed some AI Advanced Intelligence, which I've disabled and turned off in every area, yet it's still functioning and I cannot use voice to text anywhere.  

Voice input in keyboard is on samsung voice input as I do not choose to allow the permissions required for the gboard (they're riduculous!)

Please advise as to how to get the basic voice to text feature back.  These updates keep screwing up the phones and it's frustrating and annoying to say the least. Just want the old, simple functions please.  Thanks.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
147 Replies
joenamedguy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Nope. I already have that turned on and nothing is there. Already tried several things in multiple threads with this issue. Spent hours combing the internet, following all the advice given, and still nothing. You folks are lucky. I'd settle for it to be in an out of the way place, just to have a microphone.

Update: digging into the release notes on the web page, I found that if one goes to the settings, all the way into the Samsung keyboard inputs page, there is a new feature to turn on. This feature is pressing and holding the spacebar for 3 seconds to turn on dictation. After doing so, I restarted the phone, and the microphone icon appeared. I also switched on Alternate keys on the Samsung keyboard, which allowed me to press and hold for special characters. I'm using it right now to dictate text. I sincerely hope this helps everyone.
0 Likes
castlewayne
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
I'm having the same issue. Now I can't use talk to text at all on my messages or this post even. **bleep** samsung?
0 Likes
joenamedguy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I found a new setting in the Samsung keyboard screen, the one where you can change from tapping to swiping inputs to text, and it has a feature to turn on. This new feature is press and hold spacebar for 3 seconds to enable talk to text. I hope this helps.
0 Likes
firenight
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
I am having this issue too and I even to my phone into the store and they could not figure it out.
0 Likes
joenamedguy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I'll copy and paste my response here and hope it helps you, too. I found a new setting in the Samsung Keyboard screen, the one where you can change from tapping to swiping inputs to text, and it has a feature to turn on. This new feature is press and hold spacebar for 3 seconds to enable talk to text. I hope this helps.
0 Likes
Hoovy23
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
There is also now a pinned comment worth this issue having a picture as well
nsrojic916
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
I was curious to know if anyone has ever attempted to change the screen on there phone..any.tips or suggestions..?
0 Likes
userU2UCfnNGjZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

last update intalled recently wiped out my microphone icon permanently.  i am visually impaired and worked well for many year, the system has degraded this needed service, we impaired are being **bleep**ed by this change.  Class Action anyone??