JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Video Calling option unavailable

(Topic created: 08-26-2023 08:18 PM)
cironde
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

Every time I try to do a video call i get a pop up that says video calling is unavailable and it gives two options where the direct video call option is grayed out and only Google Meet is available. I click that and it sends a link via text message to the person I'm trying to call. They click it and it sends them to the exact same place I was at, the phone app with Google Meet being the only option. Only when they click it, it opens up an email app. They can send me an email with a link, I click it and the video call goes through. Tonight I tried initiating a video call through Whatsapp, it instead made a phone call because the video option was - you guessed it - grayed out. However, during the call they clicked to have the call changed to a video call and it made my video call button accessible. 

I can do video calls but only when someone else initiates one, I am never allowed. 
Has anyone else had this problem and gotten it fixed?

Thanks. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
cironde
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Called AT&T last night and got a call back earlier today.
Got elevated to level 2 tech support pretty quickly.
After about 30 minutes they pushed an update or refresh our something and boom, I could make video calls.

View solution in context

7 Replies
cironde
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
BTW this is a Samsung S23 Ultra, on AT&T.
0 Likes
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
If you bought your phone through AT&T then check with them to see if you have video calling feature built-in. If you purchased your device unlocked through Samsung for example then video calling feature may not be built-in and you will have to download Google meet and make sure other people you intend to call have the same app installed. Additionally if you're using Whatsapp to call someone, make sure they also have WhatsApp.

cironde
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
So video calling is something controlled by our providers? But if so wouldn't it be completely shut down? I can receive video calls but cannot initiate them.
The call I made was Whatsapp to Whatsapp.
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
The native video calling from a regular phone app/dialer depends on the provider and their branded phone software. When you can via WhatsApp that call goes through the app and if you believe that there is an issue on your side then close all apps, restart your phone and start video call via WhatsApp.

So you never was able to initiate video call via WhatsApp or Viber? I also wonder if you have WhatsApp a permission to you the camera.

cironde
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Not through Whatsapp, no. I know it has access to my photo camera and video and also to make calls. I haven't tried Viber, never heard of it actually. Guess that will be my next try.
Solution
cironde
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Called AT&T last night and got a call back earlier today.
Got elevated to level 2 tech support pretty quickly.
After about 30 minutes they pushed an update or refresh our something and boom, I could make video calls.
cironde
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Can't accept my own solution so this might stay open?
0 Likes