Original topic:

Anti-malware question

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
UKRocksall63
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I read an article from Samsung saying that anti- malware apps are not needed for galaxy phones. Is this true? 
I can't get a straight answer from any of the search. engines, so can anyone answer this question without trying to sell me something?
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24
The hysterical thing about Samsungs app protection is that when in device care, you press optimize, a green check mark is next to virus scanning turned off.
It's a battery hog, I guess.

I use Norton1719020186738.jpg
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24
Its just actually telling you that virus scanning is turned off, not that it turned it off.
0 Likes
UKRocksall63
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Mine doesn't turn app protection off. Maybe it's different phone models.
0 Likes
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24
It doesn't turn mine off either, I don't use it. I pay for Norton, 25 licenses family plan
UKRocksall63
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
@realaud- That's what I have. It's already on. Thanks.
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24

PS - I don't have it on because I use a different app for malware, since my subscription for my computers covers 3 devices and one was going to waste, so I just put it on my phone.

realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24

I don't think, though that app protection does anything other than check the apps you are downloading for malware.  I don't think it acts like other full service anti-malware/anti-virus programs in scanning and removing threats or protecting against sketchy websites.  I can't say for sure though, since I don't use it.  With a lot of people coming on here saying they were hacked (real or imagined), you should investigate further what it does and does not do.

JLo33
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Unless you're browsing or downloading from unknown sources, for the most part you're safe. I stopped using the phone anti-malware apps years ago and not anti-virus on computers. I just don't need them. Websites, downloads, apps, all from safe sources. Also don't download apps from ads.
UKRocksall63
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It makes sense to me.
0 Likes
userra
Sun
Options
Galaxy S24
I use Microsoft defender they offer identity protection too if you're in USA, but to my understanding Knox is top of the defense and you shouldn't need anything additional. I do like Microsoft Defender however, only because I use a computer mostly and blends great with my phones.