Original topic:

Anti-malware question

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
UKRocksall63
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I read an article from Samsung saying that anti- malware apps are not needed for galaxy phones. Is this true? 
I can't get a straight answer from any of the search. engines, so can anyone answer this question without trying to sell me something?
joeldf
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Most "anti-malware" apps out there are themselves malware and adware apps of the worst kind. They'll bug you with false positives and ask for more money to "get rid of it". I simply don't trust any of them.
UKRocksall63
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
šŸ‘šŸ¾
0 Likes
ImpossibleBox
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
There isn't really as much malware on mobile phones as they have quite limited permissions on what apps can do & access, unlike a computer which has effectively all access for any program which gives malware more power to ruin or steal information. Ironically, these limited scope permissions make these "anti-malware" apps unable to properly scan to detect or prevent malware without special permissions like Google Play protect on most androids, and samsung knox for Samsung. So bad phone apps couldn't super easily steal login information on say your email account with some exceptions. Phishing scams/tricking/lying to someone to log into or give sensitive information like identity, account, payment information by impersonating someone or something else like your bank, internet service provider, or another legitimate app like Facebook, Google.
Something to be wary of is making an app a device administrator (powerful as its name suggests) or giving it full accessibility controls. Device admins can do just about anything. Only things that might use it would be parental or elderly device control apps, some corporate management solutions. Default device admins you might have us find my device by Google & link to windows.

Accessibility: You can think of it able to control, read, or type anything on the screen in place of the user who could be totally blind, full power.

Unfortunately there's little screening of what goes on the Google playstore so you could have data harvesters or specialized malware from there. Can avoid this by downloading only from known companies that have a presence beyond the reviews for that app. Apps that don't look like an exact copy of another app or look super generic, both plastered with intrusive ads, often times simple apps like flashlight apps (redundant as built-in for most modern phones), apps trying to be broadly popular generic as possible but no distinguishing brand. All check what permissions they ask for, if it's too many or unrelated to what it does, don't install/permit it. Playstore app page ā†’ About this app ā†“ā†’ app permissions-see more.
Location & nearby devices permissions is often asked for anything that does networking, wifi, or bluetooth related as those things are a means of identifying where someone is.
ImRyan
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
Well you can run a playstore scan anytime of every app on your phone even ones downloaded off the playstore. So actually you can check them anytime. I've never had any malware or any virus on my phone. Ever. I just install apps or download from non shady sites and I don't go just anywhere and usually on Samsung internet browser it will tell you if there's a problem with a site so I don't know why this is a big deal in 2024
0 Likes
ImRyan
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
I've never used 1 on any of my phones for awhile and I've never had a virus. Even non Samsung. The more sophisticated they get, unless you are going on shady websites, I don't know what you have to worry about? You can scan your apps with play protect. So all installed apps will be scanned. Unless you are side loading a bunch of apps and other things from sketchy sites I don't know what you are concerned about to be honest
0 Likes
ImRyan
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
I've never had an anti virus or anti malware app on any android phone in the last 10 years and I've never had malware or a virus on any phone. With the level of security they offer you today in the browsers, in the playstore, you have to be going to some pretty sketchy sites or apps that aren't from a reputable source to get malware or viruses or your phone has to be hacked and most of the time it's also because of something you did why it was hacked in the first place. So I don't know why this is even a question if you are not doing anything off the norm.
UKRocksall63
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
The only way you learned anything is by asking questions. No disrespect, but it wasn't about you. It was about me wanting to learn more about the subject.
ImRyan
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
I wasn't making it about me. I was speaking from my experience. I'm very outspoken and straightforward and blunt and I think sometimes people misinterpret what I'm saying or take it as rude and I wasn't trying to be. I promise. Sorry if it came across wrong and I seen some other people saying misinformation on here so I was also trying to address that as well. It was nothing against you at all I promise
0 Likes
ImRyan
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
And if you want to check all the apps on your phone if you go into the playstore you can do a scan and you can select all apps in the options
0 Likes
ImRyan
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
Hope this helps you. If you go to play Play Protect in the options then settings you can scan all apps 1719176690196.jpg
0 Likes