Original topic:

Dex Unusable on S24+

(Topic created: 02-02-2024 09:45 AM)
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I've really been enjoying this phone (my first Samsung or Android ever), but Dex, the feature I was most excited to use, simply refuses to work over USB-C on my monitor. I just get "no signal detected" while Dex is activated on the phone. 

I know Dex can work; I've managed to get it running over HDMI on the same monitor (this is just a less-than-ideal setup because it's 30 Hz).

I use a Dell U2723QE, which works perfectly fine with other USB-C devices (Macs, Windows PCs). I know the cable isn't the problem because I use it daily with my MacBook at 4K60 while running multiple high-speed USB devices through the monitor with no issues.

From the research I've already done, it seems that many people have experienced this exact same problem with my monitor and other Dell USB-C monitors, yet Samsung has done nothing about it. Even my iPhone works on the monitor over USB-C; this is definitely a Samsung problem. If anyone has any solutions or tips, I'd greatly appreciate the help!
19 Replies
agent006
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Mine cuts in and out. This phones needs an update.
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Hoping the first patch fixes everything šŸ¤ž
0 Likes
Pacificaner
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I know the S24 ultra supposedly has DEX, not sure about your model. My Flip4 does not have DEX, but my Note 10 plus does have DEX.
Interestingly enough I used to use my Note 10+ on a TV that worked and in the past few months it does not work. Unclear if the TV manufacturers get upgraded software that disallow the DEX in some settings like Hotel TVs. I would try a different cable and maybe also try hooking up to a different monitor to resolve.
0 Likes
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
The S24+ has Dex as well. In the testing I've done with multiple monitors, it's only worked over HDMI. Unfortunately, all the USB cables I've tried (which have been Thunderbolt 4 cables with 100W+ ratings) haven't fixed the issue. These Dell monitors are the only USB-C monitors I have to test with, so I can't say for sure whether another brand would work. But given the fact that every other device works with this exact setup, I'm inclined to say the S24+ is the problem.
0 Likes
Pacificaner
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes need an HDMI monitor and also cable. DEX is great for watching movies when traveling in Hotels.
0 Likes
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Yeah, it seems it'll have to be HDMI for now. Dex is supposed to support DP Alt Mode but their implementation might be the problem. I hadn't even thought about movies but that's a great idea. Plex+Dex (even sounds cool) on this little thing could make it a powerhouse for travel.
Pacificaner
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes, I just found this on Reddit (and I believe the problem was when I upgraded to Android 12 the DEX video playback stopped working) link attributable to KOLIBERk below:

"The same issue on Note 20 Ultra with Android 12 update, Plex works fine on phone, but when switched to DEX the video wont load. Only way to start video on Plex in DEX mode is to use Plex with settings to open the movie in external player. But then on phone mode this will open external player for each video, so very annoying..."

https://www.reddit.com/r/SamsungDex/comments/r8k3ml/plex_issue/

0 Likes
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Dang and they still haven't fixed that years later? Maybe I shouldn't be expecting any incoming fixes for my problem either.
0 Likes
Pacificaner
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I beleive it should work in a future patch. As you seem to have the newer (than My Note 10+) phone you should be good in future. My Note 10+ is at the end of the Samsung Support cycle, however I wish Samsung would fix what they took away and correct this issue, perhaps, one can only hope. Meanwhile I am really looking for a replacement thus the S24 Ultra. However I really Love MY Note 10+ 5G, and even order battery Replacement and covers front and back as spares and a tool kit and glue from repair parts usa, and hope to fix my unused second Note 10+ that has a bloated battery. I still believe on the Brand of Samsung. For other Androids, I have found my Motorola smartphones to be quite durable and a good value as well. My daily driver has been the Note 10+, akin to the portable laptop of 15 years ago or so. All the best.
0 Likes