Original topic:

Dex Unusable on S24+

(Topic created: 02-02-2024 09:45 AM)
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I've really been enjoying this phone (my first Samsung or Android ever), but Dex, the feature I was most excited to use, simply refuses to work over USB-C on my monitor. I just get "no signal detected" while Dex is activated on the phone. 

I know Dex can work; I've managed to get it running over HDMI on the same monitor (this is just a less-than-ideal setup because it's 30 Hz).

I use a Dell U2723QE, which works perfectly fine with other USB-C devices (Macs, Windows PCs). I know the cable isn't the problem because I use it daily with my MacBook at 4K60 while running multiple high-speed USB devices through the monitor with no issues.

From the research I've already done, it seems that many people have experienced this exact same problem with my monitor and other Dell USB-C monitors, yet Samsung has done nothing about it. Even my iPhone works on the monitor over USB-C; this is definitely a Samsung problem. If anyone has any solutions or tips, I'd greatly appreciate the help!
19 Replies
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
The Notes seem to be a really strong series of phones, I hear stories all the time from people who are still happily using an old 9 or even 8. The S-Pen always made me jealous as an iPhone user, I didn't go for the Ultra this year only because of that pricetag. If you do end up upgrading and you live in the US there's a good chance you could trade in your Note 10+ for a very discounted S24 Ultra, the carriers have been running really good promotions (that's how I got my S24+). Since the S24 is getting 7 years of updates they at least have plenty of time to fix Dex, though hopefully it won't take that long šŸ˜†. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the day, and thanks for your tech wisdom.
Pacificaner
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes, ditto... Love the S-Pen and have a good one.
Xillwill24
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Try Link To Windows until they fix the issue. Great feature.
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
True, I can at least use it to learn some Dex features until a patch comes. Thanks for the tip!
0 Likes
j-arias
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I have the same issue as of 5/10/2024: Dex does NOT start at all when using a USB-C to USB-C cable between my new S24+ and my external monitor. The same cable and monitor with my old S20+ DOES work. Details below.

USB-C to USB-C cable: USB version 3.2 with 4K @ 60 Hz capable ( https://a.co/d/b6aq3rD).
S24+: AT&T carrier, One UI version 6.1, Dex version 4.5.01, and Android version 14 (Dex doesn't work!).
S20+: AT&T carrier, One UI version 5.1, and Android version 13 (Dex does work!).
External monitor: Upperizon Portable Monitor OLED 15.6" Touchscreen 4K UHD 3840x2160 capable ( https://a.co/d/g0fFhr9).
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Mine hasn't been fixed either, I'm starting to think this isn't a priority for them šŸ˜•. For you does it do the thing where it shows Dex as being activated on the phone while also showing no input on the monitor? Or does the dex button simply not even turn on? In my case it seems like the phone thinks everything is working, it just has no actual signal on the monitor's end.
j-arias
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I know you mentioned HDMI worked for you but this is for others that might find it useful:

Dex did work with a USB-C to mini-HDMI cable that I plugged into the mini-HDMI port of my monitor.

However, there are multiple drawbacks of using a USB-C to HDMI cable instead of a USB-C to USB-C cable:
- There is no touchscreen capability with a USB-C to HDMI cable, even if your monitor has touchscreen capability.
- The is no phone charging capability with a USB-C to HDMI cable.
- Display resolution is limited to FHD (1920 x 1080) with a USB-C to HDMI cable.

So I got Dex to work with a USB-C to miniHDMI cable but this is NOT a solution and I am disappointed that Dex does not work for the S24+ with a USB-C to USB-C cable because of the limitations stated above. This is the USB-C to HDMI cable I'm using if anyone wants to try it: https://a.co/d/blTSWoW
FearlessToad
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Yup, there are a number of drawbacks to HDMI. Your one-cable solution is at least a little better than mine, I'm using a full size laptop USB dongle because it's the only thing I have with an HDMI port.

I ran into similar issues with cable bandwidth, though for some reason Dex decided to output 4K@30Hz rather than a more pleasant 2K@60Hz. Another drawback is that I can't use my peripherals and drives connected through the monitor's built in USB hub with Dex, which is the main reason I don't use Dex at all.

Thanks for chiming in on this post, hopefully Samsung eventually decides to care about this.
Members_7Eq6yGP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I also have had the same issue. Running DeX over USB-C to a blank monitor doesn't work unless I start the display with another device first.

I've used the same setup with my old S20 hundreds of times and it worked every time.

userveOeVT199O
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Just purchased the S24 Ultra and having the same issue with no display using USB C - USB C.. my 22 Ultra works just fine.
0 Likes