Original topic:

Fingerprint scanner then restart with pin after 72 hours

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
BabyDogMomma
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Recently purchased the Samsung S24 plus to replace my 4 year old S21 Ultra 5K. Oops! 
Nothing but issues. I transferred my data from the 21 to the 24 of course saving time. Well since I've had the S21 I've been using the fingerprint scanner and haven't had to use my original pin since the first week I had it. The night I bought my 24 it already had to update overnight so in the morning it asked for my pin and was LOCKED UP LIKE FORT KNOX. I had already factory reset my 21 so that was not an option. I called my carrier, Samsung, tried find my device to unlock it. Well since June 20th 2024 I've had to hard or factory reset my 24 because of this pin issue. In addition to that there isn't enough upgrades so don't waste your money!!!!!

16 Replies
BabyDogMomma
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Looks like a lot of people do
SammyNerd83
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Unfortunately some people do do that. It generally tends to be older people though. Also if you don't use the phone for a while sometimes or have just changed that pin or password and it's something you don't usually use and it's new to you. And then finally it's also been happening a lot lately when the phone gets updated to UI 6.1 and even though you know the correct pen or password the phone doesn't seem to think you do, and then you do need to do a factory data reset. I know this because that last one happened to me recently and I had the exact same pin on both my tab S9 and my Galaxy s24 ultra.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Maybe this kind of thing (phone forgetting pin/pattern after update) is unique to pin/pattern users.  I use a 7 character password, and it's never happened to me.  Then again, all my updates seem to go without a hitch. I can't think of a reason why something like that would happen with an update but, apparently, it does to some users.  Most of the time you see posts like this though, it's people claiming *they* forgot their pin/pattern, not that the phone did.

SammyNerd83
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I've only ever had an issue once myself. The most recent security update on my S24 Ultra. I have a 9-digit PIN, and it's the exact same PIN on my Tab S9 as on my S24 Ultra. I ended up using SmartThings Find to reset my phone, and of course, I accidentally factory reset my Tab S9 first šŸ¤¦ā€:male_sign:. Thank goodness I had a Smart Switch backup that wasn't too old. However, now I make new Smart Switch backups of both every month or so now. šŸ™„
0 Likes
ImRyan
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
I do the same thing and back them up to the Samsung cloud as well and back Samsung internet up to the Samsung cloud just in case. I think that's a great idea :light_bulb:
0 Likes
SammyNerd83
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Look at what I said
0 Likes
Mac-18
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Galaxy phones always require pin after a restart.