Original topic:

Fingerprint scanner then restart with pin after 72 hours

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
BabyDogMomma
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Recently purchased the Samsung S24 plus to replace my 4 year old S21 Ultra 5K. Oops! 
Nothing but issues. I transferred my data from the 21 to the 24 of course saving time. Well since I've had the S21 I've been using the fingerprint scanner and haven't had to use my original pin since the first week I had it. The night I bought my 24 it already had to update overnight so in the morning it asked for my pin and was LOCKED UP LIKE FORT KNOX. I had already factory reset my 21 so that was not an option. I called my carrier, Samsung, tried find my device to unlock it. Well since June 20th 2024 I've had to hard or factory reset my 24 because of this pin issue. In addition to that there isn't enough upgrades so don't waste your money!!!!!

16 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't understand. For security reasons, you are made to enter your PIN every 72 hours when you use your fingerprints. And, when the phone restarts, it also makes you enter your PIN. Not sure how you never used it. I have had that since my S20 fe. I've always had to enter my PIN after 72 hours and at restart. I have an S24 plus now. Same thing.
BabyDogMomma
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I've had the Samsung S10, 18, 19, 21, and now the 24. This is the first phone I've had where I've needed to enter a pin or password every 72 hours for a security restart. Now, if I worked for the NSA/CSS, then yes..
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I just asked my son, who has an s21 fe. He gets the enter your PIN prompt after 72 hours, and also after restarts. I doubt highly that Samsung gave LESS security to the S21 Ultra and the phones you had before that. Unless somehow they all were defective, which could be a possibility, I suppose, but seems unlikely all were.
ImRyan
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
I had the s21 FE 5G and I can confirm that. I have always had to after any restart or after it's been on for so long. I usually power cycle mine once a day so I don't have the 72 hour thing but I don't leave it on that long
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Perhaps the fact that you weren't asked was the glitch.  The pin/pattern/password after a reboot or after a period of time has been pretty standard for several years, even with extend unlock enabled. Or perhaps you are misremembering having to do it, because for most of us it just becomes routine.

0 Likes
ImRyan
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Yup. I have to do it after a restart and after a certain amount of time if I don't power cycle it or it's unlocked for so long and then it's locked. The person saying it's a "problem" on the S24 Ultra is wrong because I own 1 and I had the s23 ultra and the s21 fe 5g and I have the S7 fe tablet and I had or have to put in a password every time I turn them on. I also have an a series tab and same thing. So I own 3 Samsung devices and they all do the same thing. I don't know what this person is complaining about
0 Likes
ImRyan
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Me too on 3 devices I own from Samsung. I had to on every device I owned and own now which is 3 Samsung devices and my parents have an A series phone and they have to as well. So I know of 5 different devices plus an old device of mine, the s21 FE 5G that you had to do it on.
0 Likes
SammyNerd83
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It's normal. It's a security feature in case you lose you're phone. Or your phone AND your thumb šŸ˜†
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Who sets a pin/password and then forgets it? The first rule is to set one you remember. Of course, you could always eliminate all security and then you don't have to worry about being asked for a pin.