JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How can I add more data to my phone?

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
userpZMShQdYLW
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have a new samsung 4g phone. I go over my data limit by soooo much and get so many penalties on my bills. I wanted to just upgrade to more monthly data instead of repeatedly accumulating the charges all month? Is that not how that works? I can't find a way to "get more data" or pay to increase my limit. I keep seing unlimited plans that refer to being grandfathered in, so I assume there aren't unlimited options anymore? Is the data apart of the phone I bought and can't be changed? I'm just very limited in my understanding of this whole thing and the app and website isn't helpful and the chats I attempt get nowhere.

8 Replies
Solution
GaryB82
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S24
You would need to contact your phone carrier to increase the amount of data you get per month

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

Liz15146
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Apparently the plan you chose does NOT have unlimited data. YES, there are plans like that. Lots of them. If you are going over by that much, maybe you should switch to 1. Look at your usage since you got the phone (each month). Write down how much you used each month, & your average use (Add all numbers together & divide by number of months for your average). Then contact your carrier. You can ask if you can pay extra each month if you see you are going to go over. If not, then ask them (& I would look on their website also), what plans are available, & how much data they each have. The unlimited might be the best option if you are using that much. Are you turning off your data when you are at home, & using your internet connection ? If you don't turn off your data, your phone may be using LOTS of data during times when you could be using your internet to go onto websites, stream, etc. at no cost.
Rayzer
Sun
Options
Galaxy S24
Read the fine print. Even unlimited plans have data caps that usually top out at 30 or 50 GB before they throttle your speed. Using your phone as a hotspot is usually less than that.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Mobile data plans are the province of your carrier.  That's who you would contact to change your plan or increase your data. Who's your carrier?  Maybe it's time to switch if they don't have a reasonably priced unlimited data plan for you.  I don't know what you are all doing with your data every month, the most I've ever used is 5GB in a month and that was when the wi-fi went out at my gym and I had to watch my videos on my data plan.  I don't think I've used 50GB of data in total over the 15 or so years I've had a data plan.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

You can also set a data limit on your phone to just stop mobile data when you use your allotment.  Go to settings/connections/data usage/billing cycle and data warning.  Tap the text and then tap start billing cycle on and then select your billing date.  After you do that slide on set data warning and tap data warning and put in a number a couple of gigs below your limit and you will get a warning that you are getting close to the limit.  Then slide on set data limit and then set the actual amount of data you have on your plan.  When you reach that limit, your phone will turn mobile data off and you won't be able to turn it back on until your next billing cycle starts.

0 Likes
BruZZi
Sun
Options
Galaxy S24

How much the OP wants to spend ???

Slow month... 

Screenshot_20240827_171846_Settings.jpg

EDIT: Got busy at my work... posted the wrong pic. Fixed now. Thanks for pointing that out.

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

That's your wi-fi data, not your mobile data.

This is mine:

Screenshot_20240827_171130_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20240827_171213_Settings.jpg

meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
You would need to change the plan to a newer one since you mentioned grandfather plan
0 Likes