Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-23-2024 09:35 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,230 Replies
Bagz24
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Turn on vivdness and then go to advanced setting below to turn up the vividness
0 Likes
Hankydooodle
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
They also didn't fix the speaker issue
Ibuddy66
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
The camera makes everything look like an old BBC show with the washed out faded over exposed colors and whites and blurriness. It's horrific for a 1200 dollar phone. I'm beyond upset about this.
- Ibuddy66
0 Likes
LM0nst3R
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

I just got the update that added the "Vividness" slider and it doesn't seem to do anything whatsoever.

I tested moving the slider back and forth both indoors and outdoors, and with various levels of brightness. I can't see any difference in vividness or otherwise.

Is it just me? It can't be doing such a small change that my eyes can't notice it in various scenarios.
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Odd, in another thread someone else is stating the same thing.  Perhaps try rebooting your phone and clear it's cache, sometimes updates are wonky and require this step.  I can attest that it does make a significant difference on my device (S24 Ultra unlocked on AT&T if that matters any).

Sammie777
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here, nothing has changed on mine either.
dwboston
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

On my S24U the colors in the sample photos in that screen clearly change when moving the slider.  Look at the second picture with the red ball in the middle of the concentric circles and the yellow and red background.  The red clearly gets more saturated as the slider is moved to the right. 

GaryB82
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S24
Strange it's changing on mine

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like the post.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and āœ“ to Accept as Solution button.
BruZZi
Sun
Options
Galaxy S24

Changing on my (unlocked AT&T) S24U too.

And now its just vibrant as my S23U.

LM0nst3R
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I wonder if people seeing a difference are not experiencing some sort of a placebo effect. I am genuinely not trying to be disrespectful but I truly see no difference. I really tried, hard, but I just cannot see it.

I can confirm there is a difference though between Vivid and Natural, so it can't be my eyes.
0 Likes