Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-01-2024 03:54 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! 🙂

3,230 Replies
usernlJWEEWmbF
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Your tech support just said this is BS, no update for the screen is in the works because nothing is wrong with it. Stop lying to your customers, it will come back to bite you in the a$$ big time.

0 Likes
aiween1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

sounds like BS

0 Likes
userckKy0yBNPJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

The "comfortable, quality viewing experience" looks like my grandparents vintage color tv set compared to an OLED TV set.  Seriously, my S24 Ultra looks horrible compared to my S10 regardless of what I  do with the settings. Likely to return.

Brho0m13
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

It's boring, dull, and inaccurate. Fix it. We don't want your attention. It's inaccurate in Natural mode and not popular with those who like vivid mode. You raise the gamma and make the Display colors dull and boring. This is what you're doing. You should set the Display to the reference target of 2.2 instead of raising the gamma to 1.8 washed out colors

Do not say that the problem was solved, it was not solved, but rather that it increased. The S23 Ultra was suffering from that as well But to a lesser extent

https://twitter.com/brho0m13/status/1752246776281584008?t=FkIJ9SNKxb7o7zZJKZ4k8w&s=19

Fix it. I'm upset and thinking about Use another phone

In every generation you are raise the gamma more

Why don't you provide your display with accuracy and accurate colors? All companies target Gamma 2.2 the phone reference. Unless you fix the problem, this is the problem you are suffering from. Just solve the problem.

1000051536.png

1000051535.png

1000051537.png

ekassis
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

hi @SamsungJustin 

This is not a feedback that we are giving.

Knowing that we are loyal users for Samsung, hence we are reporting a huge degradation in the new S24 Ultra display compared to S23 Ultra (the colors are extremly washed out and dark). Even when following the advanced display settings that you sent, and trying to switch to VIVID mode, we are not observing any change between Natural and Vivid.

Can you please treat this issue as fast as possible? since this degradation cannot be tolerated.

Thank you.

Jkelley714
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Justin, I'm sorry this is a flat-out lie. We know the color spectrum is way off, and we also can see that comparing to the s21 s22 and s23 ultra, the s24 ultras display looks horrible. All this message says to customers is "return the phone before your return window because we aren't fixing our mistakes".
0 Likes
Hydrobud
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't understand why you just can't add an option for those who don't like the muted colors and like more vivid options
0 Likes
Hydrobud
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It looks horrible when switching from the Galaxy tab S9 plus. I switch between the tablet and phone a lot during the day and it's so jarring The colors are significantly different please add an option this is not fair they're going to be many returns because of it
0 Likes
boinelle
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi. Just tell your engieneers to compare the s23 ultra and the s24 ultra side by side. Vivid mode should have vivid colors. 

Erjbrg
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Such garbage - "The Galaxy S24 series' display is carefully tuned for a comfortable, quality viewing experience." I didn't know that a quality viewing experience meant making my screen look worse than the S6 I had over 10 years ago... Do not buy the S24, buy an iPhone which has a beautiful display 

0 Likes