Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-09-2024 06:03 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,243 Replies
SouthPolaris
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Got the same display issue on my S24+ phone purchased in Asia. I'm not sure it can be fixed by OTA in the future. I recommand return the product first and rebuy it when the issue fixed.

Members_TE4CH6U
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Image.jpeg

Will Samsungs Official statement be "you're looking at it wrong"? They do love to mimic Apple. 

Members_53W3lMs
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

They all have grainy displays. Samsung won't address it. We have to return them or live with it.

timothycodes
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm really torn on this.  Coming from the s23u the s24 display is nice, better for the eyes higher pwm rate, nice blacks, flat screen, less reflectivity.   

I'm really torn.    If money was no object I'd keep it and then trade it again.   Or keep the s23u and trade it for the s25u.   The  Snapdragon gen4 is not an arm chip apparently.    

0 Likes
humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Don't get rid of your S23U. There are some serious QC issues with display panels for S24U. And Samsung just sits quietly.
PinheadSupreme
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

People have to complain in greater numbers.

0 Likes
Yeetersfeeters
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Same issue here. Got mine Jan 31st made in Korea. The grain is noticable af
vinny89
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Im just going to wait it out. I have insurance on the phone so once they deemed it is a hardware issue, ill have a phone replace the screen on mine.
Aeskul
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

that's my plan as well

ricarva
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Just to add my voice to this: my unit is also affected, even if it's one of the milder cases I've seen. 

On Reddit there are many examples of bad displays, and not a single good one; makes me believe that this issue is present on all devices, and either an egregious QA fail at Samsung Display,  or a known tradeoff of some sort and therefore a "feature" of these displays.