Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,243 Replies
Members_GbLpaxR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Were you able to ask for a replacement?

humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I think at this point all units are affected. People who say they don't have it simply do not see it. So for now im waiting for this drama to develop more.
Galaxy Knight
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm in no way discrediting what you or anyone else sees, but what if the majority of users don't see it?

I've seen people looking at solid colors and gradients of color on their screens. Is this normal usage? 

Or am I missing something? 

humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Go on Reddit. Tons of reports and only folks with grainy panel post proof. Perfect panel shot for S24U has not been posted yet
Galaxy Knight
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Oh ok, gotcha. What is the best way to test this myself? 

0 Likes
humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Galaxy Knight
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Awesome, thank you. I'll check mine out. 

0 Likes
PinheadSupreme
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

testmyscreen.com

PinheadSupreme
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

You have to go to testmyscreen.com to verify issues with the display.

humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
More samples of grainy / mura effect display panel. 15-20% brightness, dark or semi dark room. I still haven't seen a single unit with perfect display panel. People who claim that their unit is perfect simply might not see this. It's a sand like graininess on dark grays. You really need to pay close attention to see thisIMG_5961_1000001004_1707356173.jpgIMG_5960_1000001005_1707356186.jpgIMG_5956_1000001007_1707356311.jpg