Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,236 Replies
Mendylab
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
After seeing how washed out the display is on the s24 Ultra, I changed back to my s23 Ultra. If Samsung doesn't release a fix in the next week or so, I will be returning my s24 Ultra.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I bought the s24 plus and was looking forward to switch out my Note 20 ultra. I never really use the s-pen that much, so I thought the plus would be great. I was, however, so disappointed in the saturation of the colors. Honestly, it felt like I bought a budget phone. I compared it side by side to my Note20 Ultra and I can see the big difference on my Note. The resolution and color saturation on the Note look spectacular compared to the new s24 plus. I have never upgraded and found a phone's resolution look so dull.. Plus, I wish Samsung would not remove the colors from the notification icons on the lock screen/always on display. It made it easy to recognize what notifications came from what application. Now everything is white. Come on, this is not Joanna Gaines remodel homes. Unfortunately, I returned the s24 plus and kept my Note. 
userF1ZncDMxs0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes. I am very disappointed in the display of the s24u. The display is the main reason I upgraded from s23u. I hope there's a fix soon. If not, i will return the s24u.
user7w34TBfJNF
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes I have S24U and definitely have issues the vivid and natural toggle between them there absolutely no changes
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I hope so. I returned mine because I think my Note has what I want. The 24 didn't offer me what I thought it would. The white notification icons on the lock screen is a complete no for me too. I hope it works out for you.
kratohse
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here. Got the s24 in violet from at&t, and colors are washed out like a cheap $200 samsung budget 4k tv. Is anyone else curious about samsung quality control
usergQR29DPaU8
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I completely agree and noticed the same on my Galaxy s24+. I returned it today.
0 Likes
JJTY
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
i was so disapointed of the s24ultra screen it looks like a cheap realme chinesse cellphone. when i turn to vivid screen not working it just saturate a little, but still dull. omg. samsung please address this. maybe you can update the firmware. i am so meticulos of the color because i work as a photographer. 
ItsLtDan
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
It's a bug within the Vivid option. They should be pushing out a software update by tomorrow hopefully.
0 Likes