Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,236 Replies
codek
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have the same issue it is really annoying, waiting for a response from samsung or I will return my 2 days old S24 Ultra device.

PACritic
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
How to test for this as my screen looks ok dim or bright
Rhinotsoplots
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
You test this by first lowering your brightness to somewhere about 0-10% of the full brightness bar.
Second, you can look at the green and grey backgrounds on this website:

https://testmyscreen.com/

Third, click the three bars on the upper left in the website and select "solid colors."

If you have grain, you will see it in the grey or green backgrounds or even other colors.
lpell27
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have the same issue. It is absolutely insane that people are downplaying this. The phone is $1300 it should not have basic quality control issues like this. I am not sure what to do because replacements are not offered here in the US and I have already sent my trade in device. I can't just order another because I won't get the same promotions/discounts as before. This is really frustrating and unacceptable for such an expensive device.

Rhinotsoplots
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree. It's unacceptable by Samsung. I think they're hoping their "fix" might help with the mura/random noise. It may be related to the washed-out colors they claim are for "eye comfort. " I think it's a cover-up excuse considering that already had natural and vivid mode to handle the saturation of colors. One video that I linked talks about how the screen under the microscope shows white light leak through when trying to display solid colors and could be related to a bad driver.
Are you still within the two week window? I was able to "trade in" by buying a new phone with the same deal with them over the phone. They said I'd get a refund for the amount of the first purchase plus any difference in amount from that to the new phone cost.
zumaz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I also have the issue!

+1
SanP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have this issue too. Purchased in the UK. Let's hope software fixes this. Though I'm not hopeful. 

Rhinotsoplots
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I totally understand and feel the same way. On my last day to return the device, I contacted Samsung and told them of the issue, provided a picture of the screen banding, and they let me get another device. If you still can, maybe do the same and hope that the new one comes in better condition. I'm sure that had to have seen this issue by now and started correcting for it.
Members_1wnS6fA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Did the new device have a perfect screen or was it still affected?

Rhinotsoplots
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm still waiting. Won't arrive till near the end of the month. I'll update you when I receive it and check it.