Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,236 Replies
tommyt2024
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm returning because that. This screen is horrible
tommyt2024
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
It really sucks I'm getting the fold 5
Yuri_cz
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi, i have got also this problem and i will be returning the phone if its no fix. So in this string there are 2 informations... On page 2 it is hardware bug and they send new phone and page 5 it is software and they fix it... So what is thrue?

tribeleader1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I was already in doubt upgrading from the s23 ultra to the s24 ultra. A big selling point for me was the brighter display, but side by side with the s23 ultra, it's clearly not as bright and more dull, at least indoors. All these AI features are nothing amazing, especially when they tried hiding the subscription fees they'll start charging in 2 years. The s23 ultra will get those features anyway in a software update. Wow, as a loyal Samsung user, this is the first time I'm majorly disappointed with upgrading.
Vitek
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here, did all the troubleshooting, same dull, greyish screen. Talked to Care+ , they are pretending that they are unaware of it and sending me to ubreakitifixit store. I know exactly what would be their response.
user6tgag4nSjg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Mine sucks too. I've been a Sammy fan for many years. One of the things I love is their vibrant displays. This is not one of them. I really hope it's software
userGEc4HpkeYW
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here. I am very disappointed with the new S24 ultra. I was so excited to get it. Now it is a big regret. My S22 Ultra is a lot better. Not only are the colors dull. I noticed the battery life also is sucks. I spoke to Samsung. They said I am the first customer to complain about the phone, and they are not aware of any issues with the S24 Ultra. They offer me $50 promo code or processing a return. The technical support agent advised me to visit the Samsung store. I know that this is a software bug since charging the settings from vivid to natural will make no change at all. I hope they will puch a fix update before my return days expired.
Barry7884
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't believe all the display problems will be able to be addressed on the S24 ultra via software/firmware changes. This is because I believe the new glass has an inherent green tint to it. The vibrancy of the underlying display colors can be increased via software changes, but they will always be viewed through green tinted glass. Similar to viewing the world through colored sunglasses. I hope I'm wrong.
usersHxhuOrXr8
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Same. There's no difference between the natural and vivid settings at all, and the Rgb sliders don't change anything. Overall very disappointing and I'll be returning the phone if this bug isn't fixed soon.
0 Likes
user9Nqp4GscSi
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes, Eye Comfort Shield will somewhat fix the issue, but as many have said the Vivid/Natural Slider is not working. I hope a software update will resolve this issue.