Original topic:

S24 Ultra WIFI/Cellular Preferred

(Topic created: 5 hours ago)
Larryag999
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Has anyone experienced issues with the phone automatically switching between WIFI Preferred and Cellular Preferred?  On my phone, in spite of selecting WIFI Preferred in Settings>Connections>Wi-Fi Calling... I find times when I am still well within WIFI range the phone switches to Cellular Preferred all by itself.  This is an issue for me because I live in an area with very poor cell service.  When it switches to Cellular Preferred I do not get calls.    Any thoughts ?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Laybal
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Can try this

if you go to settings-connections-wifi (actually tap on the word wifi, not the toggle)

-tap the 3 dots in top right corner-advanced and then make sure the first option that says "switch to mobile data" is toggled off.

Also, wifi calling is service provider specific, not samsung. So your service provider will be able to help more.

I don't use wifi calling, but AT&T makes us verify our address to use it, so I'm not doing all that just to see more options, but somewhere on there should be wifi calling only mode to turn on.
0 Likes
Larryag999
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Thanks for the reply...

On my 24-Ultra I have no 3-dots anywhere on the Connections page, or the WIFI-Calling page.  However I will call the provider just to check.  When WIFI-Preferred is on, calls can be received over WIFI.

0 Likes
Laybal
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Goto

Settings < wifi

And you should be at this screen

Click the 3 dots in the top right and click on intelligent wifi.

Then very first setting should be switch to mobile data. Make sure that's off.1722443734057.jpg
0 Likes
Larryag999
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got off the chat with Mint Mobile (my service provider).  They say that when the phone can not detect a WIFI signal, the phone will automatically switch to Cellular-Preferred.  If this is correct then I think I know what the problem is.  I have 2 WIFI routers due to the extended area of needed coverage.  I think when I move from one area to another, and the phone switches from one router signal to another, the phone in effect, monetarily, thinks it lost WIFI coverage and immediately switches to Cellular-Preferred.  I know for sure that if I move from one router to another and I'm on a call... the call drops.  Not sure if there is any solution to this problem.  The only work-around I can see is to check Calling Preferences every time  I move from one area to another.  This is such a pain.  I wonder how folks who work in a large building with multiple routers handle this.

0 Likes