Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-29-2024 12:00 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! 🙂

3,233 Replies
JG94
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S24
I already cancelled my pre order and decided to keep my s23u. I'd rather have a vibrant saturated screen than a dull one
PACritic
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Mine works that same as it did on my s23u
camb8
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
It's because the new anti-reflection on all s24 series devices
vjc789
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm told it has nothing to do with that.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

I've been playing with both S23U & S24U side-by-side for the last couple days.

The gorilla armor anti-reflecting glass does make the screen look dimmer on the S24U. And also because the Vivid mode is not as vibrant, colors do look washed out.

On the S23U Vivid is visually punchier.

Faith7777
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
I like the idea of the anti-reflected glass, but I always have a Whitestone Dome Glass screen protector on all my devices, primarily because of the cost of phones, tablets, and watches, which I have on all three. I read that if you put a glass screen protector on the phone, that feature disappears. I wish I knew which AI features were coming to the s23 Ultra and which ones were exclusively for the s24 Ultra. Because I love my S23 Ultra. However, I also like that it has 7 years of updates, and I like the flat screen much better. I had that on my S10 note and S9 Note.
I'm being able to upgrade from my s23 Ultra to the s24 Ultra and get a free pair of the Samsung buds 2 Pro. For only 467 I think it's a deal that I shouldn't pass up
0 Likes
ArnelaTuzlak
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello. I just wanted to say that I just fixed s24+, from my dad. He bought it in Bosnia and Herzegowina and his display was green tone. He had s21+ and transfered his data with smart switch. That means he transfered his all data, settings etc. On older phones ( I have s22+ ) we have option filter colors, every color individually. On s24+ we have more extensive option. I opened settings, then Accessibility, then Vision enhancements, then Filter colors and I just turn it off. Display is normal, and his phone is working perfectly. This happened only with customers who did transfer his data with smart switch and his settings from old to new phone. Good luck from Bosnia:) 

0 Likes
Aldana01
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Does anyone know if Samsung is going to solve the problem with the colors of the screen and camera or if it is simply a good idea to return the cell phone and keep my s22 ultra
Solution
SamsungJustin
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello, Everyone. 

The Galaxy S24 series' display is carefully tuned for a comfortable, quality viewing experience. We offer many advanced display settings. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00079034/  

We are tagging this thread as feedback for our engineers. Please feel free to share your thoughts within this thread, we do ask that when you do so, you please follow the community guidelines: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Community-Corner/Samsung-Community-General-Guidelines/ba-p/45981... 

Samsung continuously enhances Galaxy device experiences based on our consumer feedback. The Galaxy S24 series' display has been tuned for a more accurate and comfortable viewing experience. We are currently reviewing feedback relating to the S24 series’ display viewing experience.  As always, we value the interests and feedback of our users above all.

sarakw
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

screen colors are so disappointing comparing to previous s23 ultra, i tried to change screen mode on my s24 ultra, i actually didn't notice any difference when i go between vivid and natural mode, the flower picture demo is just the same, even when i change white balance, nothing changes, colors of screen still dull and very washed out compared to my s23 ultra. on the other side, they do show difference when i change those modes on the s23 ultra