Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,234 Replies
ekassis
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

This is the last time I buy Samsung phone. I have been buying a Galaxy S ultra every year, but unfortunately they disappointed me with this dull screen on the S24 Ultra. 

Shame on such a company that didn't test the difference in screens between S24 ultra and S23 ultra.

0 Likes
vjc789
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

Pre ordered my S24 Ultra, but given all the unhappy customers over the dull screen issue. I'm considering canceling my order. Will a fix be coming ASAP to fix this issue? However, here is the interesting thing about this. I have the S22 Ultra and I thought I'd go into settings and check my screen settings. I noticed that the vivid and natural mode selections doesn't do anything either when I switch between them. Also, adjusting the hue colors does nothing either. Could Samsung have **bleep** something up on a previous software update or is this intentional?

Faith7777
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
I thought I'd give you a different opinion. I also have Pre-ordered the s24 ultra. I've been going back and forth whether I should because I have the s23 ultra and I love it! But I also miss the flat screen and other features that are coming to the s24. I did go to Best Buy and they had a s24 on display. I thought the screen looked amazing I took pictures I thought it was very clear and I thought it was better than my s23 ultra. There was a Salesman there looking with me and he also agreed with my findings. Not sure that's the issue that you were talking about but I did think that the screen resolution was crisp and clear on the s24.
0 Likes
vjc789
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
I've seen a few YouTube videos of reviewers complaining about the screen being dull. I've also found several reports on a Google search about screen issues. Maybe these folks are overlooking a setting or something. I'll give it a try when I get it delivered. I have 30 days to return it.
Faith7777
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Thanks for the info. I'm buying mine from Samsung.com. They only offer a 14-day return. Where did you buy that allows 30days?
I'd rather have 30 than 14 to make a teal assessment.
0 Likes
vjc789
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Verizon. Unfortunately, the ### always charge a $50 restocking fee. Don't know how they justify that.
RBSLC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
T-Mobile charges a $70 restocking fee... Even though the screen is working properly šŸ¤”???
0 Likes
userJphoJL5JS2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
the issue is vivid mode in display makes no difference, if you liked the colors then you like a natural mode display and that's totally cool I heard natural mode looks good but people coming from old galaxies used the vivid display option and switching between those options makes no difference at all to the screen/colors which indicates somethings wrong. no matter what settings you play with nothing will work as someone would've already posted a fix on reddit and as of now nothing they do fix it
0 Likes
Brownvince4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I have the s24 ultra right now and the screen is a bit washed out. Now this condition isn't always I noticed when I 1st start using it for the day the screen is very vivid but as I use it it does become a bit washed. I've looked at several videos on the issue and the consensus is it's a software issue that samsung is going to patch on the 31st. So I would say wait and see. For myself I can deal with the washed screen.
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S24
Me too, I don't use Vivid and I don't pump up the brightness.
I keep it at 50% indoors, outdoors I brighten my screen.