Original topic:

S24 ultra unlocked still no 6.1.1?

(Topic created: Monday)
2swift2touch
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Been constantly checking for an update. I have tmobile but on a unlocked s24 ultra. Still no new update besides the software 6.1 it shows.. anyone else on the same boat?
Options
Galaxy S24
See my reply below. Sw configuration...there is a lot of things that occurred on the background at a sw level, from the device design...nothing the wireless company has to do, BUT as soon as you try to register your device with a wireless company, "the party started.." It took me 18 months to understand this while doing my Engineering Thesis on IS-95, CDMA, 3rd Generation of Wireless Systems...
0 Likes
2swift2touch
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree with this. It's a samsung update.. for their own phone. If anything the unlocked ones should be first in line since it's official samsung brand on their own device for their own software. Ain't like a tmobile scree flashes up on start. It's samsung. Should be updated regardless
0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Unlocked devices are still getting the updates from the carriers.  This gets set the second you install a Sim or eSim, so if you can make a phone call off of Wi-Fi, then you are getting your updates from the carrier, and are on their release schedule.  Period.

0 Likes
Tkwtampabay
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
In the same ship.. Buy factory unlocked S24 Ultra and you would think that you would be the first to get it... But no Samsung puts at the bottom of the list...
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24
It is your carrier that puts unlocked last. They push out the update, not Samsung
Options
Galaxy S24
Technically, yes. They are responsible for the operational aspects of their networks, so any wireless devices connected to their networks must comply w specific operational parameters. Unlocked devices, the ones not locked to any specific network BUT w the capability to connect AND operates on various platforms, such as the called "unlocked" devices, are designed for specific network configuration and connectivity. EXAMPLE. T-Mobile will sold you a device to get connected exclusively connected to their network. You could also used it on AT&T network...with some limitations. Based on the market,unlocked devices will worked all around the world but limited to their internals. Bet you no wireless service company would let you connected to their network if your device is non-compliance to their configuration, as it takes time and effort to setup that connectivity. How do i know? Education and working experience in the Telecommunication industry...Fundamentals of Communications Access Technologies: FDMA, TDMA, CDMA, OFDMA...1992...
0 Likes
dalydose
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It used to be that unlocked was the fastest way. I remember when AT&T would take forever to "test" new builds and add their own apps. Sometimes, they would just skip an update build.

Now, carriers are getting it out faster?
0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Devices used to point to the manufacturer's servers for all updates, but this caused many customers with locked devices to complain that the updates were making it to the unlocked devices first.  There were also some issues with the updates, and the unlocked device owners would take their device to their carrier and demand they fix it.  They could not fix the issue as it was out of their hands.  This caused the carriers to demand that they control the updates done to any device on their network.  So now all updates are distributed by the carriers, so that they can make sure that anything needed for their service gets installed.  Carriers then chose to cater to the locked devices, as a majority of those were owned by people on contracts, so the carriers were making more money off of them, so catered to them.  If you take an unlocked device out of the box, connect it to your Wi-Fi, without a Sim or an e-Sim, it will get it's update directly from Samsung.  The moment you put a sim card into the device, you will see a "provisioning" prompt come up, and will likely require a reboot.  You are now locked to the carrier's server for updates.  This does not change by removing the Sim.

This is not true for Apple or Google devices, as they joined the market later than the rest, and were large enough corporations that they could demand to have total control of their devices.  Older manufacturers had signed contracts stating that the carriers were in ultimate control, as they don't provide the service, so were at the mercy of these 4 or 5 companies.  A device with no network is a fully functional brick.

0 Likes
userFgEmqp4Rbu
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Same unlocked Galaxy S24 Ultra on Verizon  One UI 6.1.1 Update, no love here for me either, still checking for updates every few hours, feels like OCD for me, LOL

0 Likes
TheF15Mechanic
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I would rather wait because at the end of the day I rather have an unlocked :unlocked:
0 Likes