JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

September security patch

(Topic created: Wednesday)
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24
An odd thing just happened, my S24U just updated to September security patch. That's not the odd part, it updated without a SIM card in it. Other than when in a Beta program this is the first time I received an update without having a SIM card in my phone.

Anyone else have this happen to them? It is my understanding Samsung relies on Carriers to push out updates.
0 Likes
10 Replies
userCQFfd9erP3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
No, Samsung doesn't rely on carriers to push updates. It relies on internet connections
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S24

@userCQFfd9erP3 "No, Samsung doesn't rely on carriers to push updates. It relies on internet connections"

If you NEVER insert a SIM card into your device, the update will come from Samsung servers. But once you insert a carrier SIM into your device, that device will use that carrier's update servers until you put a different carrier's SIM card in the device. 

userCQFfd9erP3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Yeah, I should have been more specific. If the device is contracted, it really does depend on the carrier to get security updates. But if it's unlocked, no, it doesn't.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S24
It still does if you have ever put a carrier SIM in it. When you put the SIM in the phone, it reads several things, including the update server information.
0 Likes
ImRyan
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Robin could it be it was connected to wifi when it updated? I thought about that being a possibility
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

It was on WiFi with no SIM card. The 6.1 update based on 6.1.1 wouldn't download until I put my SIM back in my A24u

0 Likes
Solution
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S24

@Robin621k That isn't odd at all. The carriers use Wifi to download the updates to your phone. Some carriers ONLY use Wifi. And once you insert a carrier's SIM in your phone, the phone knows where to find the the carrier's update server on the internet. 

0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

There is no SIM currently in my S24U. It is in my Pixel 9 Pro Xl. 

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S24

@Robin621k "There is no SIM currently in my S24U."

Yeah, it works the way I mentioned in my previous post. It is expected behavior. 

I typically have one phone with a SIM card and one without. They both get updates. The one without, has had, at some point, an AT&T SIM installed. Therefore the device is pointed at the AT&T update servers. 

0 Likes