Original topic:

Was the Uncompressed RAW feature been removed?

(Topic created: 02-10-2024 12:55 PM)
UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Can someone clarify why the Samsung S20 series (including S24U) stopped generating uncompressed RAW files sometime in Q1 2023?

In Pro mode, we now have JPEG compression in a DNG container. It is a 12-bit JPEG.

Expert RAW has the same JPEG compression (on 16 bits, probably because of HDR) for S22U and S23U, while on S24U it shows as "Unknown (52546)" compression. According to an article I found on Samsung India, it is said that this is a new JPEG XL compression.

Why not offer the option to get again (as we had before Q1 2023) truly uncompressed mosaiced RAW, which works with the Lightroom Denoise AI algorithm, instead of the current demosaiced compressed Linear RAW, which doesn't.

93 Replies
UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I already did that last summer for my old S22 Ultra. I spent an hour on the phone with a representative. He acknowledged the problem, promised to bring it to the developers for a fix, and even promised to follow up with me with updates.

Obviously, none of this happened.
sebas5287
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
Making a ticket on the Samsung Members app is different than talking to a rep through the phone.(Since the ticket is sent to the devs directly)

What I am saying is creating a ticket with the error reports button that shows up.
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Did that 2 years ago, no one cares. And no, they wont get that directly, there are filters.

Even the Samsung guy that answered questions one day before the release is not happy, even his opinion does not matter.

Only chance is to mobilize masses. Find some tech influencer or news site that can multiply this issue.

Make noise on social media, best place for comments if Samsung brags about their glories RAW capability on Youtube, Twitter or Instagram.

Then you can tell them: 3rd party apps can do better, X-RAW is useless in lowlight, what raw capabilities, this is not raw....

sebas5287
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
It does get directly to devs since they do reply, at least to me detail info of what the issue was or if they require more logs about the issue.
0 Likes
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

It's still filtered you won't ever get a direct line to the developers at the beginning or they would not have time to fix anything (would explain a lot though). They have staff to sort through that.

And requiring more logs is a bad sign, that means they did not get what it's about and think something is wrong with your phone. Everything they need should be looking at the image and working on their code to fix it. 

0 Likes
sebas5287
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
Not sure wym by filtered when I have like I said got replied from devs.

Requiring more logs isn't a bad sign at all it means they want to get more info to solve the issue at hand.

Honestly have you at least read how hard is to fix issues for developers?
0 Likes
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

But the issue is not with your device, it's in the code of the app, they have everything they need. Looking at your device means they did not acknowledge the issue correctly and are looking in the wrong place. 

They made the choice to remove real raw support, nothing in your logs is going to tell them to revert that choice. 

0 Likes
sebas5287
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
I didn't say the issue was the device what?

To know a issue of device or an app it requires logs sometimes more logs or info on how to reproduce it.

Again have you read how hard is to fix programming issues?
0 Likes
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

I did not say you said that, I say they think that.

They crippled raw support by conscious choice, what is the log supposed to tell them other than it works as they designed it. It is the design that needs to change. 

sebas5287
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
Not sure what proof do you have regarding a conscious choice.

Also there is a samsung page that explains about JPEG XL which mentions being lossless but the issue is that some are getting not the result that it should be.

If it was as designed then why the same spec that Adobe introduced in the DNG 1.7 standard is having issues with Adobe software?
0 Likes