Original topic:

Accurancy of steps for Galaxy Watch 6 40mm

(Topic created: 02-04-2024 11:57 AM)
pjw400
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Hello Everyone,

I just got the Galaxy watch 6 40mm with my new S24 Ultra. Last night, I have activated the new galaxy watch. This morning with the Galaxy watch 6 on the left wrist and my Fitbit Sense 2 on my right wrist, I have noticed a huge calcuation of the steps between the two watches. The Galaxy 6 watch 40mm calculated 3,186 steps and the Fitbit Sense 2 watch calculated 7, 214 steps both at the same time. Have anyone who have switch from another brand smartwatch to the Galaxy watches have noticed a huge calculation of steps between the two watches and if so what was done? Tonight both watches will reset to 0 at midnight and I will see how far off the watches are in the steps on Monday.
Thanks, if anyone can offer any advice

Update- 02/05/2024 - these are the steps I have from both watches at 9:14a.m. c.s.t
- Galaxy watch 6 40mm, 6,041 steps
- Fitbit Sense 2, 7,132 steps

Update - 02/07/2024 - yesterday, I had borrowed my sister's pedometer to see which watch was accurate. Today, I have compared the number of steps from both watch to the pedometer. My test consist of the pedometer counted 325 steps. Galaxy watch 6 40mm had -3 steps and the Fitbit Sense 2 watch had +19 steps. It appear the Galaxy watch is accurate. I have switch the galaxy watch to my right wrist and the Fitbit to the left wrist as one comment have mentioned one arm can swing more than the other arm which was true.. My Fitbit watch was counting steps when my arms was getting clothes out of the dresser drawer and me sitting on the bed. I think the mystery have been solved in which watch is accurate. I'm a little bummed the steps will not be counted when mowing the lawn, pushing a shopping cart unless one arm is free, swinging.

Pamela
0 Likes
14 Replies
Sarge2
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
I don't trust the step count at all as moving my arm while lying in bed is counted as a step.
Once sleep timer k8cks in it no longer counts my arm movement as a step thankfully.
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
I nelieve the steps ate counted by arm movement. If I take a short ealk and dont move my arm, (like holding onto a shopping cart) steps atent counted. If you had one device on each wrist, you probably just moved one arm more than the other.
pjw400
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Today, I have been watching Youtube videos and one Youtube videos mentioned in having all of the sensors on by going to the settings on the Samsung Health on the watch, click on share data with devices and services, click health platform "Allow All"  for the data permissions.  In addition I have changed the clock face to a simple face that does not have steps and the HR number.  I also have clear the cache on the Samsung Health and the Galaxy Watch 6 in the apps. Tomorrow, I will see what the comparison will be between the Galaxy watch and the Fitbit as i didn't know about the tips from the Youtube video since this afternoon so at midnight will be a clean start.  With my Fitbit, I can still get steps counted when mowing the lawn with the lawnmower unlike the galaxy watch 6 that I have found out that mowing the lawn does not count as the arm is not moving.  To me the feet are moving which should count.  The sensor should not count arm movement.  I carry my phone on the left hand and the galaxy watch is on the left hand so I wonder would I be missing out on steps.  I will test it tomorrow again😊.  Thank you sooo much for responding  😊.

Pamela
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
I agree. it's stupid to count arm movement as a step because a) many people walk while pushing a shopping cart or stroller and b) these watches and phones have GPS, so they know when you are moving and at what pace. Samsung has the means to add a method to calibrate stride length. They may as well give us that since we don't seem to be getting blood pressure in this lifetime.
pjw400
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

right about the blood pressure as it is not approved by FDA for the United States but approved in other countries.  I will be doing another test tomrrow pushing a shopping cart and chair on wheels to see if the watch count the steps.

Pamela
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

always wondered about somehow strapping my watch onto my ankle while mowing just to see how far I actually walked, but haven't done that yet - does seem like GPS could figure something out. I've not used a treadmill workout, wonder if that would be more similar to mowing?

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
pjw400
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
that is a good question of the treadmill because, I need both arms to hold onto the treadmill. That's the next test to do. Thanks sooo much for responding.
Pamela
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

Let me know what you learn when you check that out. I won't be mowing for another month or so.

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
pjw400
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

@cwinkler today I have tested walking on my sister's treadmill at 1.4 mph with the galaxy watch 6.  With both arms on the treadmill, the watch did not record the steps.  With only one arm on the treadmill that had the watch on (right arm), the watch did not record the steps.  With the left arm on the treadmill and the right arm (watch) swinging, the watch recorded the steps.

Last week ,I have did a smimilar test but with a chair at work with wheels and got the same results.  Pushing the chair on wheels with the left arm and having the right arms swinging (watch), the watch recorded the steps.    A couple days later, the left arm that was doing all of the work in pushing the chair, was in pain, sore that I was taking ibuprofen and the left arm is still sore today.  

I also mow the lawn and I need both arms on the lawn mower handle.  It will be impossible to push the lawn mower with one arm without damaging the muscle in the arm that does not have the watch on.

Pamela
0 Likes