JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Disappointing sports tracking on the Galaxy Watch 4 for kayaking

(Topic created: 09-05-2021 06:55 AM)
marty313
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I really love the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic 46 mm. It is easily the best Android smartwatch currently available. My favourite until now was the Mobvoi TicWatch Pro 3 GPS. It still has better battery life on its side, but everything else is better on the Galaxy Watch 4 - except sports tracking for kayaking.

I generally paddle the same 13-km tour every weekend that affords me close contact with nature but not with the big ships. The TicWatch 3 does not have kayaking, I use "trail running" instead. Very precise measurements, good battery life.

Sea kayaking - a competitor's watchSea kayaking - a competitor's watch

The Galaxy Watch 4 is EXCELLENT for cycling and has the most beautiful graphs on the phone app (only beaten by the Suunto 7) - but the kayaking activity disappoints on the Galaxy Watch 4: No GPS information at all! Plus huge battery consumption as I lift the watch with every stroke.

Same kayaking trip, but on the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 ClassicSame kayaking trip, but on the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic

I have a few suggestions: Kayaking should include GPS (every 10 seconds to save battery), stroke cadence and heart rate. And it should be possible to set the display to "OFF" to save battery. (Norway being in the North, I wear the watch under a drysuit most of the year.)

Alternatively: I am VERY impressed by the customizability of the display for the different sports modes (I tweaked cycling a bit). Why not have a general toolkit that allows people to program their favourite sports? Choose name, icon, GPS high resolution or low resolution, display state, speed vs. pace and/or lap times. With 60 or more sports it is otherwise hard to satisfy ANY user.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate your feedback and it looks like you enjoy working out very much. We will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

1 Reply
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate your feedback and it looks like you enjoy working out very much. We will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.