JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch series not counting floors

(Topic created: 08-31-2018 08:09 AM)
userIJOJeZ7Km0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had the Galaxy watch for about a day now, and it's only registered 1 floor.  I've probably done 25-30.  My house floors are more than the 10 feet it says it needs to count a floor.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with the hardware, or the software.  Is anyone else having an issue? 

JUMP TO SOLUTION
225 Replies
TMWilson21
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I had the same issue with my Gear 2. So I agree
BGood
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
All of these smart watches are just that, smart watches. They do an excellent job in that regard. But the fitness functions are not well implemented. Issues with sleep tracking, heart rate, steps, counting floors. It's common. But Samsung techs always act like it's just YOUR product, rather than bad design. I had a Gear S2 and now I have a Gear Sport. These have been connected to two different Galaxy flagship phones.

If you want really good fitness tracking, get a FitBit or something similar. My FitBit tracks my health much better. I wouldn't have kept my Gear watch if fitness was my primary purpose.
user2RM6X21jWl
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Mine is hopeless too, hardly ever records a floor. Sometimes it will at home, but only if I start with my wrist low to the floor and raise it as I climb and end with my wrist raised high above my head! I've measured the level change between the floors and it is something over 8ft, which is if anything just a bit over average height for a UK house, I must easily be adding 5ft to that height by going from wrist nearer to the floor to raised above my head. The watch just can't perform this function, neither could the S3 going from the 18 month long thread on this forum where people are still complaining about it not working. If Samsung has used the same hardware, clearly it will never work in this watch either.

Heart rate monitor can't work if you are moving and people have also reported various other issues with it too.

I tried getting the watch to count my squats, full squats, bum to the floor, barely got half of them, I can't see it working for anything else like that frankly.

I've seen lots of complaints about inaccuracies in step counting, something my sister-in-law has noted too.

You have to ask yourself, if that watch is failing in pretty much all areas of fitness tracking, what is the point of the watch, it is basically an overpriced digital watch. This is my first experience of a "smart" watch and I'm seriously questioning whether the £300 cost is justifiable when so much of the watch seems pre-production. I'm still within the 14 days return period and I'll have a choice to make, but it is somewhat disappointing that the watch doesn't function correctly in some significant areas.

userUuPtK0xKzz
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Plase stop asking for model numbers. It seems to be on EVERY watch! Instead of annoying us users by asking model numbers and even sending in the watch for repair Samsung should do the following:

1. Confirm that there is a bug in this product.

2. Announce a data for a reliable fix. Either a software update or a hardware replacement.

userHSlJupUmOF
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same here, galaxy watch 46mm.

Afree with the user above, Samsung should do the following:

1. Confirm that there is a bug in this product.

2. Announce a data for a reliable fix. Either a software update or a hardware replacement.

0 Likes
user6rTyagRTrZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

46mm paired to an Galaxy S8+

Same issues.  Multi story climbs at work, indoor and outdoor.  Occasionally will register 1 flight for the day.

Tried the exercise setting to off "fix", still garbage.  Steps are wildly inactive.  Cannot use continuous heartrate as it crashes (reads me in the 30s if at all).  Fine on regular heart rate settings.  AOD utterly gobbles battery.  Watching a 30 min TV show registers as sleep.  No sign of the stress alerts advertised.  For a $517 CAD watch it sure seems to be well and truly junk.  Not to mention getting hosed on my pre order duo charger.  Tried to cancel my pre order a couple times as 2 weeks in they were available literally next door at my local best buy.  Told dont cancel you'll lose the pre order gift.  B.S. told to wait 2 weeks once my watch came without the gift.  Then told after the 2 weeks that I dont qualify...come on Samsung.  Substandard product that doesn't actually work other than to tell the time and date.  $150 Fitbit Charge 2 HR does far more and accurately.  Last Samsung product I'll buy.

0 Likes
userTifxl1MpxE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

The ABSOLUTELY and INSANELY STUPID way Samsung's "alledged" programmers are using the Altimeter to measure a "floor climb" appears to be the problem. My change in elevation is appx 12 and a half feet (well over the required 10ft). HOWEVER ... rarely, going up or down the stairs will it indicate a change of even 10 ft. Eventually the value will change and settle ... but not until after the "stair climb" and associated "steps" cease. Therefore NO FLOORS COUNTED!!!!!

I suspect few people using an elevator or an esclator (where no or few steps are involved) are interested .... it is actually climed steps for floor and the associated calories. If this arbritrary Floor Count elevation was changed to even 6, 7 or maybe even 8ft, this with the presents of some ossociated steps would far more likely indicate a far more accurate floor count. This is NOT difficult to figure out ...but IS probably too much for the simpletons to grasp. This is likely EASILY corrected in software ... but considering sumsung has been unable to grasp this simple thing in this much time ... is is unlikely they apparently don't give a darn about the issue OR their customers.

I was INSULTED by the "chaising-our-tail/ clear cache" solution they previously gave.

0 Likes
user5yCSxLLXnM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

mine too, I went to gym this morning and it counted 6 of the 8 flights I did. now it is not counting any at all, I have done 4 more to test and it still sits on 6. 

0 Likes
usertMYDVNyn7i
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same here, I reset the watch, reinstalled the gear software on my Galaxy s7 (T-mobile)  I did the sensor test *#0*#  all sensors pass.  I reset the watch twice already.  Cleared the cache.  I  am going to attempt to disable auto workout detection today.   One thing I noticed,  when I reboot the watch, when I quickly switch to the samsung health summary, for a moment it appears to show some floors climbed, but turns to 0 no data once the watch is completely booted.

0 Likes
user42rUNnQb0y
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I had the same issues after the watch worked fine for 2 months I started geting 48-100 floors per day when I was in the same room or even sleeping. Samsung said that there was no issue (WHAT!).

I took the watch back to the retailer and got a new one, after about 2 monts now its starting to do the samethin. Went upstairs, took a shower, came downstairs and hut my floor target of 10.

I was conducting a training session in a single room for 8 hours and got 46 floors on 1/23 and 22 on 1/26.

This seems to happen on the 46mm, my wife has the 42mm with no issues and I never had these problems with the Frontier.

0 Likes