JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Manually started swimming workout switches to auto-detect

(Topic created: 03-14-2023 12:29 PM)
drbatson
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

For the last couple of months so pool lap swimming, the Galaxy Watch4 has performed wonderfully.  However, on three recent occasions, I have started the workout manually, only to find that the watch switched to auto-detect mid-way through the workout.  This results in an abbreviated record, no data for splits, SWOLF score, and really just stinks.  Please tell me there is some way to prevent this.  Anyone else had something similar happen?

6 Replies
Solution
Options
Galaxy Watch

It's possible that the Galaxy Watch4 is switching to auto-detect mode due to a change in your swimming style or movements, which could trigger the watch to assume that you've stopped swimming or are taking a break. This can happen even if you've started the workout manually.

To prevent this from happening, you may want to try the following:

1. Make sure that the watch is securely fastened to your wrist, as movement can sometimes trigger auto-detect mode.

2. Before starting your workout, disable the auto-detect feature in the Samsung Health app. To do this, open the app on your phone, go to "Settings," and then "Workout detection." From here, you can turn off the "Auto-detect workouts" feature.

3. Try adjusting your swimming technique or style to be more consistent, which could help prevent the watch from switching to auto-detect mode.

4. If the problem persists, you may want to contact Samsung customer support to see if they have any additional suggestions or can offer a solution.

It's also possible that other Galaxy Watch4 users have experienced similar issues, so it may be helpful to check online forums or communities to see if there are any known solutions or workarounds.

drbatson
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks. I have searched the forum, but didn't see anything quite like this.

I have disables auto-detect and will see whether that works.

My swimming stroke and cadence is pretty consistent (crawl 8 strokes per 25 meters @ 30 secs over 40 lengrhs). Thanks for the feedback
0 Likes
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
This is not related to your question, but do you experience any water damage on your watch 4? I also have it but I am too afraid to wear it while swimming.
0 Likes
drbatson
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I haven't had any water damage (so far). But your concern actually does relate to my question. I specificallybuse the manual swimming exercise mode because, among other things, it automatically goes into water lock mode. If I relied on auto-detect to start swimming, it does not start water lock right away.
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks for your response. Does water lock actually prevent water to go inside the watch or just prevent the accudental touch?
0 Likes
drbatson
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I think the latter. But, I have not had any sign of water infiltration. Either way, it gives me psychological comfort that I am following every precaution to care for the tech.
0 Likes