JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Galaxy Watch does not count steps

(Topic created: 09-06-2018 08:40 AM)
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! Just got my Galaxy Watch yesterday. And already today it stopped counting steps. It counted a little and then all together quit. I reset it multiple times and after the third time it counted 50 steps and quit again. Any one else is having this issue?

446 Replies
userXBwgP3mc00
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Turning off the inactive notification helps -Smiley Happy however the step counter is not accurateSmiley Sad.   The Stair counter is still not working unless I use one of the workout apps like walking then it captures stair activity.   We need a software exterminator this device has bugs.

0 Likes
userpDHglEAJuY
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Well so far setting "Inactive Time Alert" to Off only helped a little. Put my Gear Sport on right wrist at 7:30a PST today.

at 11:16 am PST

Gear Sport Steps = 5616

Galaxy Watch Steps = 1595

Better than yesterday, I had a total of 2400 on the Galaxy Watch at the end of the day 😞

Now I turned off all  "Auto Detect Workout" as just suggested. 

Maybe if enough of us keep leaving data, Samsung programmers will figure out the issue? Down to 13 days til I have to return it. $379 for a watch that doesn't have technology of a $20 pedometer. SMH

0 Likes
userKMyus215EI
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am having the same issue.  It was stuck.  Rebooted, checked for software updates, cleared all the cache and nothing.  I turned off the rowing and eliptical tracking and that still didn't work.  Already did a rest earlier in the day because of battery drain.  Finally came across the one about the alert for inactive and turned that off.  Behold it started counting again.  My pebble steel lasted longer and has an always on display.  Might be returning this watch and going back to my pepple.  Samsung you need to fix these bugs!!!

0 Likes
userVhUQC4pTEi
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I miss my pebble

userKMyus215EI
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am having the same issue.  It was stuck.  Rebooted, checked for software updates, cleared all the cache and nothing.  I turned off the rowing and eliptical tracking and that still didn't work.  Already did a rest earlier in the day because of battery drain.  Finally came across the one about the alert for inactive and turned that off.  Behold it started counting again.  My pebble steel lasted longer and has an always on display.  Might be returning this watch and going back to my pepple.  Samsung you need to fix these bugs!!  Nevermind because it's stuck again!  This is bs!

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

mine counts every step. battery lasts forever too. 9am to 2pm. only 6% went down. amazing. i love mine

0 Likes
userpDHglEAJuY
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Wow I'm super jealous. What model do you have that counts every step? I have the 42mm T-Mobile Midnight Black.

Talked to Support & Sales Direct today. Placed a call/support ticket with each citing the details of the pedometer not working.

When on with support, we factory reset it and it didn't register steps until I walked in a circle like 8-10 times after being idle for 60 seconds.  Support said it should be replaced and to call Sales Direct.  After talking to Sales Direct, "replacing" it means sending it back and ORDERING a new one. To get the same one, the ship date is 9/23, naturally it's on backorder.

After 2 calls to support & 2 calls to sales, I went for a run and wore the Gear Fit as well to compare. The Gear Fit logged about 100 more steps than the Galaxy. Went to Costco, the Gear Fit logged 410 steps, Galaxy logged 237.

I could probably live with 100-200 steps off but I'm only halfway through the day!

0 Likes
userTeoUd0PF3Y
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Tried this and in fact turned off all work out detection with no resolution.  Also turned off the Inactive feature too.

Regardless, I have to take a minimum of 10 steps before it will record.  Anything less is never counted.  As for stairs, it has never counted any.

Costly watch that can't perform simple tasks equals return to store.

0 Likes
NebulaPond
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Same for me - new release in UK - hardly counting steps, even after reboot and turning off all suggested options above.
0 Likes
Platzerwasel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Count me as another person who will be returning the watch. I've noticed all the problems described in this forum to one degree or another..steps don't register until you get a "walking start"; floors are under-registered and also seem to require a "walking start". Sleep tracking is off too..has split my sleep into two parts two out of 3 nights and under-registered and left incomplete measurements of efficiency. Also, I have the T-Mobile LTE version and am unable to connect to LTE..apparently I need a T-Mobile branded Samsung phone in order to get that working. In short, what a mess, and I'm not encouraged at all by the apparent inactivity of Samsung representavies here to even admit, much less address, any of these problems
0 Likes