Original topic:

Samsung apps running in the background

(Topic created: 12-07-2023 01:05 PM)
JRStewart
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch

Galaxy Wearable Music, SOS, etc randomly run in the background on Galaxy Watch 4 even when I don't use the apps. I stop them from running in the background and lo and behold, they show up just minutes later running in the background again. This was never an issue before this one UI 5/Wear OS4 update. Samsung please, please fix this ASAP. 

80 Replies
Options
Galaxy Watch
Mine are about the same, but Samsung Health is using 2% all by itself and for the most part doing nothing as I run phone apps and the notifications originate on my phone and are parroted to the watch. What is interesting is the Samsung text-to-speech engine. It is using 7% of the battery itself and Bixby is not used. In fact the only watch app that should be running is Samsung Health.

What bugs me is the fact that several apps in the Wearable apps App section have "run in the background" toggles in the App Info section of the app configuration. In each case the toggle is a grayed-out, blue, indicating that it is switched on. The problem is that toggle leads you to believe that you could turn it off, but NO, it will not allow you to turn it off. There are 6 to 8 apps that have a toggle like this, and if they are running, they are using memory, storage, and battery. Depending upon how one uses them, they may not need to run in the background.

I'd like to try running them only in the foreground, but I can't because I can't turn background operation off.

Long-winded, but any advice is appreciated.
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch
Unfortunately, I have tried in vain to stop these apps from recurrently running in the background. My hope is that Samsung will patch this in the next watch update, but for now I would say that we just kind of have to live with it. I haven't noticed very much of a difference in battery life. On my Watch 5 Pro I will get 3 days+ of battery.
Options
Galaxy Watch
I get 2 days and 10 to 16 hours out of my GW4 Classic but all this stuff adds up. We didn't have this happening during the beta.

The biggest complaint about these watches is that the battery life leaves much to be desired. It is certainly not robust, and anything we can do to boost battery power longevity is a big plus. My wife was getting 3 days and 6 hours out of her GW4 44mm running the same configuration as my GW4 Classic. I'm just looking for 2.5 to 3 days with consistency. I used to get 3 days+ out of my GW3 Classic and I was quite happy with that.
0 Likes
userDBKKszYm8H
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Battery life is terrible, music is uninstalled bur still shows running in background. Assistant, which I never use is also randomly running. Pointless to keep this watch when most days it doesn't last through the day.
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

I found I was able to uninstall Wearable Music from my Watch4. It was running in the background like many others have reported, and consuming battery. Will this cause issues with my watch, anyone know? If I need to reinstall it, is it in the Play Store?

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
userkih4TlxEHs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I guess the best thing to do trade it in on an apple watch. I won't buy another Samsung product again.
0 Likes
Evdub77
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
So my background us is with the health app it is only using like .3% battery but it's still insanely annoying as I don't monitor my heart rate throughout the day or my o2 levels. I'm 37 and healthy and frankly the heart rate monitor on these watches isn't the most accurate thing in the world. It will give you a good idea of whether you are in medical danger of your heart exploding but don't expect it to give you an accurate result you can use for any type of serious study. I wish samsung would fix these stupid little problems. I have tried everything with for getting the health app to stop and nothing works. I'm not going to disable in developer mode as I don't want to have to re-enable every time I want to use the app for exercise but it is a pain that it shows up as I am ocd about my unused things being closed out and this has me in mad mode all day right now. Please fix this soon Samsung!
0 Likes
Mezzalla
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have turned off the media control in the display, but despite this, the little blue note reappears and the media controller is displayed on my watch. This is draining my battery and I can't find anyway to rectify this. 

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you. 

0 Likes
jimdel
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
My battery in my 6 classic last 1 1/2 days my samsung 5 lasts almost 2 1/2 days what's up withthat?
0 Likes
AngieK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I have a classic iv that does the same thing. Samsung won't admit it is a known issue. Turn on airplane mode on watch while playing any media on phone. Phone functions won't work, though.
0 Likes