Original topic:

Samsung is going to terminate support for Tizen and then what?

(Topic created: yesterday)
samuiseo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi to all old school Tizen users!

I found this message to be official by Samsung.

Samsung is going to terminate support for Tizen.

detailed the termination schedule for Tizen. The key dates are: 

• 30 Sep 2024 - The Samsung Galaxy Store will stop selling paid Tizen Watch content.

• 31 May 2025 - The Samsung Galaxy Store will stop allowing new downloads of free Tizen Watch content. In addition, the notice also states that "core services related to this watch will stop everywhere except Galaxy Store > Menu> My Apps. 

• 30 Sep 2025 - The Samsung Galaxy Store will stop the re-downloading of previously purchased Tizen apps, which means users can no longer access paid or free Tizen content.

So, if you have a smartwatch with Tizen like Galaxy 1,2,3, active, Frontier  etc. you won't be able to download any watch faces or apps you previously purchased or downloaded free from the Samsung App Store.

Spoiler

In case you have to reset your watch or change the phone ,

you won't be able to restore you watch anymore!!

Even the stock apps, like reminders, stop watch, browser, weather and  many others we won't be able to download!

I hope somebody can find a solution to backup or clone the watch content including apps and watchfaces, settings etc., so we can use later if necessary.

To all developers!!

Please make a simple software we can use to do such a backup and restore to previous state.

Or is there already such software available?

3 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
I realize your watch is still functional, but there are so many advances in the watch technology, not to mention more content in wearOS watches, that it really does not even make sense to hang onto the past. You can probably find refurbished watch 4s and 5s to buffer the expense. Nothing is forever.
0 Likes
samuiseo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks for your input! However, I agree that buying a new google wear os watch may be the solution. But, believe it or not, my Galaxy 46mm SM R-800 is still working fine and battery life is better as the new wear os watches. 3.5 day with one charge, including daily work out tracking GPS and music play.  I just think, that Samsung should give at least a software solution for backup / restore for those older wearables. Maybe somebody has a solution to share with us?

0 Likes
meself
Sun
Options
Galaxy Watch
I know they use tiger on there tv wonder if that will be affected
0 Likes