JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Watch 6 Classic Medical apps functions

(Topic created: 08-07-2023 06:56 PM)
Varzil
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Watch

I understand that the Body Composition Analysis app works by sending an electric pulse into the body & measures by electric impedance… I cannot use that app as I have a pacemaker…

I would like to know what other medically oriented apps work via electric impedance; rather than light. 

Typically, pulse-ox meters that measure the amount of oxygen in the blood work via light concentrated on the finger… does Watch 6 Classic's pulse-ox app work via light?

Which method: light, or electric impedance does the Watch 6 Classic use to implement the Heart Rate, Blood Pressure, Sleep Monitor & any other medical features?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello and thank you for reaching out. After further research it appears that our watches do send micro current through the body using the BioActive sensors to get data for Heart Rate, Electrical Heart Signal, and Bioelectrical Impedance analysis (BIA). We recommend checking with your doctor regarding use of the watch, as you mentioned having a pacemaker. They will be able to direct you in the safest/best practices to utilize the watch and provide additional details based on your specific situation.

View solution in context

21 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@Varzil Pulse oxygen uses light.

Sleep monitor uses motion sensing. 

ECG measures electrical activity. 

Blood pressure is not available in the US since the FDA has not approved its use. 

Varzil
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks again! What about Heart rate measurement? Electric. I imagine… Also, what about exercise tracking?

Does the Heart Rate & E.C.G sense passively, or send electric pulses into the body? I know that the Body Composition Analysis sends electric pulses into the body, but I don't want to miss out on using a feature if Idon't have to… & E.C.G. & Heart rate _could_ conceivably use passive sensing; rather than actively sending electric currwnt into the body… & I do wonder if exercise measurement is sensored passively or actively.

Thanks in advance,
Options
Galaxy Watch
Heart rate is light based. ECG uses electricity, which you have to manually use every single time
0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy Watch

@gabe80million The ECG measures the electrical activity of the heart. It does not send electricity anywhere. 

Pulse ox and heart rate are measured optically. 

Varzil
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Watch
@LongHiker, tnx! So ECG senses heart function via light? @gabe80million said it uses electricity. don't want to step on either of yopr toes, but since I wear a pacemaker, this is of great importance. Help fm both ofsyou is appreciated!
0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy Watch
No, ECG measures the electrical activity of the heart. It does not transmit electrical energy. It does not use light.
Varzil
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks, so that would mean the electricit' would be passively measured. Thanks for giving me that understanding. The poor-English speaking-usage of Samsung TS on text left me quite unclear!
Options
Galaxy Watch
Ah, that explains why it only utilizes one finger instead of both of them, unlike the other weight mass related one.
Options
Galaxy Watch
Still, I'm no doctor, but I don't think the watch puts out enough electrical related stuff to mess with any pace makers
0 Likes