JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Basic setup: Samsung HW-N950 soundbar with TV and Blu-ray

(Topic created: 03-09-2019 03:40 PM)
Haapa
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I have a simple question about cabling. I have purchased the Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar (it is in route to me now) and I am going to put it in-line with my Samsung 65" curved UHD 4K TV and my Samsung Blu-ray player.  Currently I simply have the blu-ray going to one of the HDMI inputs on my TV.  With the soundbar however, should I ONLY have the HDMI ARC on hte TV go to the HDMI ARC on the soundbar and then use one of the other HDMIs on my SOUNDBAR to connect the blu-ray (and not connect directly to the TV anymore)?  Does the soundbar pass the video to the TV this way?  I am unsure how to wire this.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

The unit does support 4K pass through, just connect the Blu-ray to the soundbar and connect the soundbar to the television using the ARC ports on both devices. If you have any trouble with the set up, just make sure that all of the HDMI cables are 4K and ARC capable. 

Anynet+ is enabled by default on the soundbar, make sure to turn it on in the External Device Manager on your television as well. 

userTZly24Hebt
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Mine just came this week also. So this is how I hooked mine up and it wokrs fantastic. I have a Q8 65" and Directv. I ran the Directv into the soundbar then ARC to the TV. I then did the same thing as suggested with sending by blue ray into the soundbar. The ATMOS works perfect this way. Only thing you should know is if you watch say Netflix or HULU or similar off the TV. You will get the 4k visual if it is a 4k show but you will not get ATMOS sound just standard surround. Until or if Samsung puts EARC into a firmware update regular ARC does not transmit the it from the TV to the soundbar. Something I did do after I bought and hooked it up is get better HDMI then came with everything and it made a difference for me. Very cheap purchase at my local Walmart of Monster cables. I am including a link. Hope this all helps. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-Ultra-6ft-HDMI-Cable/793840970?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=...

0 Likes
Haapa
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Thanks! Actually I run Netflix, Prime, and Sling all thru the FireTV (which will be through the soundbay) so I think it will work just fine!

0 Likes
userDEEb6Ei9gD
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Hi @userTZly24Hebt 

I was trying out your suggestion. This is what I have. 
samsung q6fn with Arc and other hdmi ports

directv 4K receiver (only has one hdmi port)

sony uhd blu-ray (has hdmi out and then bi-directional Hdmi ports)

i took your suggestion and did following:

1) connect hdmi arc from soundbar q950t to Samsung TV arc port

2) connect directv hdmi to my q950t hdmi 1 soundbar (I had this going to tv directly before)

3) connect Blu-ray hdmi out to soundbar hdmi port 2

However, doing so I don't get any video out to tv for direct tv?

0 Likes