Original topic:

Samsung HW-N950 Subwoofer Static

(Topic created: 05-23-2020 01:40 AM)
userXs1gKsFiep
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Hi,

I am experiencing distortion / static with my Samsung HW-N950 subwoofer. The behavior is random in nature (roughly 10%),  but usually presents itself during low tones, especially if the sub is being taxed during movies. I've tried multiple inputs (bluetooth, wifi, hdmi), and multiple formats (DD, Atoms, etc.,) but this hasn't helped. Subwoofer is roughly 6 feet from the soundbar.

I have a general feeling that my WiFi router may be the culprit. I moved it to the other side of the room, which I believe has helped, but still experiencing issues.

Has anyone experienced something similar? This is extremely frustrating, and has led me to unplug the subwoofer at times.

Thanks,

Matthew

27 Replies
userKhN5WptCKu
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

0 Likes
userO64zgWKG0l
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I had the same issue. I talked with support and they said to plug it directly into the wall outlet, still didn't help. Left if unlplugged to reset while on vacation, still didn't help, did "ID resets" from the subwoofer every time I heard crackle but it came back. Bought power conditioners to plug satellite speakers and sub into but it came back. I have an orbi mesh network WiFi router with a satellite. Router on second floor, satellite on first. What has seemed to work for me (fingers crossed) is moving my satellite from first floor to the basement and I can vaguely recall the issue starting right when I switched  from my asus AC1900 single WiFi router to the mesh net gear orbi. My guess is there is too much interference/noise with WiFi signals that mess with the soundbar talking via Bluetooth to the subwoofer. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
userD1aiQODODV
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Did this worked for you? Even when you play music via Bluetooth? I'm having this issue and I don't know what to do... please help 

0 Likes
user6ON8hYg56s
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Same issue for me and the solutions posted have not worked for me. Using Firmware version HW-N950WWB-1997.5.

0 Likes
userot5kOqEtbY
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Unbelievably I solved this tonight, so am posting this in case others come across the same issue.

My SB was NOT connected to WI-FI, I connected the soundbar to my WiFi and hey presto it sorted all my issues. Used The SmartThings app to connect it. I had connected it before but had obviously lost its connection.

May sound a simple solution but worked for me.

0 Likes
userTI1PFIugYd
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Downloaded SmartThings app on my phone and connected soundbar to WiFi.  Seems to have fixed it, no more static.  Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Likes
userwGmmqmiCai
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Thought it worked but it came back.  Paid all this money for this thing and can't get it sounding right. I think I'm going to sell it to someone else and go back to a receiver and wired speakers. This samsung harmon kardon bites. 

0 Likes
userSqAkg2ovWI
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi,

OP - posting an update on this thread.

After moving to a new apartment, the dreaded subwoofer distortion has returned! As others have stated, I believe this is because of simply too much other wireless interference (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.). Has Samsung formally acknowledged this issue or offered affected customers a path to resolution? I'd be willing to explore options outside of warranty to fix/resolve.

If not, I'll be forced to purchase another sound bar and maybe save this one for bedroom duty (recycling the wireless subwoofer and satellites).

Thanks,

Matthew

0 Likes